Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default striiping copper wire

On May 4, 7:18*am, wrote:
Is it worth it to strip bx cable(2 wire, and ground sheilded with
metal casing) as opposed to bringing it to the scrap yard unstripped.
Will I get more money if it is stripped.

Copper is near 4$ a lb. 3-4x what it was a few years ago, actualy you
could make money melting Pennies, the older ones without alooy added,
but recently a law was passed making it illegal. Burn off the
insulation and check prices, your local scrap guy might sell it to a
smelter nearby that will pay you alot more for a small drive. I think
near $1.40 lb is what pennies break even at, and now at near 4.00
there is alot of money in copper. In Chicago people are stripping
telephone lines in alleys, pulling wire and pipe out of new
construction, stealing copper gutters and downspouts.