Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom flooring

I am renovating a bathroom. The rooms is stripped to the studs with a
plywood base.

I plan to put a layer of cement board down over the plywood as a base
for the tilers to work on.

The plywood is rather uneven so the cement board will ride over
ridges.

Is there some kind of compound I should apply first to level out the
floor before the cement board or should I simply not be concerned?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 4:20 pm, "
wrote:
I am renovating a bathroom. The rooms is stripped to the studs with a
plywood base.

I plan to put a layer of cement board down over the plywood as a base
for the tilers to work on.

The plywood is rather uneven so the cement board will ride over
ridges.

Is there some kind of compound I should apply first to level out the
floor before the cement board or should I simply not be concerned?

You could "laminate" the cement board to the floor with thin set. It
should level out the ridges and also should serve to make the whole
floor stronger.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 2, 4:20*pm, "
wrote:
I am renovating a bathroom. The rooms is stripped to the studs with a
plywood base.

I plan to put a layer of cement board down over the plywood as a base
for the tilers to work on.

The plywood is rather uneven so the cement board will ride over
ridges.

Is there some kind of compound I should apply first to level out the
floor before the cement board or should I simply not be concerned?

The 'compound' you need is called a sander, either a belt sander or
(easier) random orbit sander. Given a typical 8 x 10 bathroom you can
get all the bumps out of the floor in about 15 minutes. Some pros then
coat the plywood with the cheapest polyurethane they can find to get
better adhesion/performance out of the thinset or whatever they use
under the tile substrate board. This method will yield the sturdiest
floor for unusually thin or even fragile tiles.. HTH

Joe

Laminate Flooring in Bathroom DavidM UK diy 2 September 27th 06 09:22 PM
Bathroom Flooring Fuoleum UK diy 2 April 26th 06 01:24 PM
Bathroom laminate flooring Michael Ray Home Repair 1 April 1st 05 02:03 PM
Bathroom flooring Q mutley UK diy 5 March 25th 04 01:21 PM
Bathroom Flooring Fishter UK diy 4 August 1st 03 04:06 PM