mutley

Default Bathroom flooring Q

I'm renewing an upstairs bathroom as a shower room (not a 'wet room').
Floorboards are old softwood and I'd like to know what to put on top of them
for A.- if I decide to ceramic tile the floor; or B.- if I go for cork
tiles. The floor won't be awash with water but must be water resistant.

--
Any help TIA
Please reply to Newsgroup

Zymurgy

"mutley" wrote
I'm renewing an upstairs bathroom as a shower room (not a 'wet room').
Floorboards are old softwood and I'd like to know what to put on top of them
for A.- if I decide to ceramic tile the floor; or B.- if I go for cork
tiles. The floor won't be awash with water but must be water resistant.

In mine, I screwed down all the floorboards firmly, then put down
1/4" ply then countersunk and screwed it down to the floorboards on
8"-ish centres.

I left this to shrink/dry out and assume its natural warpage for about
a week, then tiled over this with 12" ceramic tiles with a "tiles over
wood floor" flexible tiling adhesive (which looks like chocolate
mousse).

They've been down & grouted about 6 months now, no movement or lifting
yet ...

Cheers

Paul.
mutley

"Zymurgy" wrote in message
om...
[snip]
In mine, I screwed down all the floorboards firmly, then put down
1/4" ply then countersunk and screwed it down to the floorboards on
8"-ish centres.

Excellent, thanks.

I left this to shrink/dry out and assume its natural warpage for about
a week, then tiled over this with 12" ceramic tiles with a "tiles over
wood floor" flexible tiling adhesive (which looks like chocolate
mousse).

They've been down & grouted about 6 months now, no movement or lifting
yet ...

N. Thornton

"mutley" wrote in message ...
I'm renewing an upstairs bathroom as a shower room (not a 'wet room').
Floorboards are old softwood and I'd like to know what to put on top of them
for A.- if I decide to ceramic tile the floor; or B.- if I go for cork
tiles. The floor won't be awash with water but must be water resistant.

Cork is far from water resistant. But maybe someone's come up with a
way to solve that by now.

Regards, NT

MBQ

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message ...
"mutley" wrote in message
I'm renewing an upstairs bathroom as a shower room (not a 'wet room').
Floorboards are old softwood and I'd like to know what to put on top of

them
for A.- if I decide to ceramic tile the floor; or B.- if I go for

cork
tiles. The floor won't be awash with water but must be water resistant.

How about AMTICO

A bit expensive to put under tiles!

MBQ