Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Laminate Flooring in Bathroom

This weekend I'm going to be laying some laminate flooring in
my bathroom, I've bought flooring thats moisture resistant and
supposed to be suitable for this (AquaLoc). I know that normally
you are supposed to leave an expansion gap around the edge, and
cover it with a an edging trim, however I don't particularly
like the look of these and, more importantly, want to seal the
edge by the bath, shower and basin to make sure no water
splashes seep under the floor. The floor area is only about
2.0m x 1.5m, so I'm not sure how much, if any, expansion
there will be.
I was planning on just using some silicone bath sealant to do
this, perhaps leaving a small gap along the edge and ensuring
that the sealant fills this gap.
Also, as the existing floor is sound and flat (chipboard) I was't
planning on using an underlay, to avoid movement of the
flooring and breaking the seal.
Does anyone have experience of this, will it work, is there a
better way?
Thanks for any advice.
David.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

I'm no expert but there shouldn't be much expansion over that small area and
I would think a 4 or 5mm gap filled with sealant should be fine. Still
wouldn't hurt to put some underlay under the laminate though. The stuff I
used was like a thin (no more than 3mm thick) foam sheet. There shouldn't be
enough movement to be a problem for the sealant - especially not at the
edges of the room as you never walk right at the edge.

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"DavidM" wrote in message

This weekend I'm going to be laying some laminate flooring in
my bathroom, I've bought flooring thats moisture resistant and
supposed to be suitable for this (AquaLoc). I know that normally
you are supposed to leave an expansion gap around the edge, and
cover it with a an edging trim, however I don't particularly
like the look of these and, more importantly, want to seal the
edge by the bath, shower and basin to make sure no water
splashes seep under the floor.

------------

Hey Dave :-)

I plan to do something similar. When visiting Alco's I noticed two
pieces of wood (40mm by 40mm by 10mm, which had been glued together with a
10mm gap using Sika-flex EBT.

I have had it at home for two months and often pick it up to play with
while reading the screen. I can fold the wood pieces until the faces meet,
and I can twist it 90 degrees. It stretches twice the width (I haven't tried
to rip it apart as such), and compresses to 7mm.

I don't know the price cause I haven't bothered, as yet, to find out.

....Ray.