Gordon Henderson

Default Bathroom flooring options...

I'm just after an idea of what to put down on the bathroom floor after
recently stripping everything put & installing a new bathroom...

Previously were old varnished cork tiles (which I removed the hard way) and
carpet on top of that (yuk).... I was thinking of some thick cushion-floor
vinyl type material, but the floorboards aren't really that good - not
too even and a bit rough on-top with the occasional gouge caused by my
enthusiasm to remove the cork tiles...

Laminate flooring? I hear there's stuff suitable for bathroom use now,
but I'm not convinced. What does it need under it?

It would be nice to be able to get to the floorboards if desperately
required - the plumbing runs under the floor.

Below the floor is a gap then the ceiling attached to the floor is lath &
plaster and below that - nothing - an alleyway at the side of the house,
so it's a bit on the cold side in winter, which is why I thought the
vinyl might be an option, but after seeing the state of the floorboards,
I suspect I'd have to lay down something flat first.

Anyone with any alternatives? All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks,

Gordon
Snowman

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
I'm just after an idea of what to put down on the bathroom floor after
recently stripping everything put & installing a new bathroom...

snipped

Thanks,

Gordon

I'm just in the same situation, so will look with interest at replies.

I was looking B&Q (sorry!) last night and was quite taken with some laminate
type flooring that looks like ceramic tiles and claims to be water
resistant. It doesn't need glueing and locks together, but it will need a
flat surface and some underlay.

Peter.

Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Snowman wrote:

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
I'm just after an idea of what to put down on the bathroom floor after
recently stripping everything put & installing a new bathroom...

snipped

Thanks,

Gordon

I'm just in the same situation, so will look with interest at replies.

I was looking B&Q (sorry!) last night and was quite taken with some laminate
type flooring that looks like ceramic tiles and claims to be water
resistant. It doesn't need glueing and locks together, but it will need a
flat surface and some underlay.

I may investigate these flooring types further. I suspect the requirement
of a flat surface might trip me up though )-:

I guess I could always stick down cork tiles again... (Not!)

Gordon
Dan delaMare-Lyon

On 2004-09-15, Kalico wrote:

Lay thin plywood over your boards and then the vinyl.

The ply can be nailed down using short tacks and should keep things
level and stable for the lino.

That's exactly what I'll be doing once the decoration is finished

Cheers
Dan.

Simon Stroud

[...]

Hello Gordon,

As others have mentioned, a nice layer of, say, 6mm WBP ply fixed to the
floor would provide an excellent base for vinyl or, if you are a little more
adventurous, something like vinyl "tiles" such as Karndean or (vastly more
expensive) Amtico.

I have fitted Karndean flooring in both our recent bathrooms and have been
very pleased with the results.

You can see some of my previous posts on the subject via Google:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...news.com#link4

or

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...rnet.com#link8

However this doesn't satisfy your requirement for possible future access
under the floor.

One other point - for this type of floor the ply needs to be SCREWED down
and all screwheads/gaps/cracks filled and sanded and the whole lot given a
coat or two of PVA. For ordinary vinyl you probably don't have to be quite
as careful with the preparation.

Good luck.

Regards,
Simon.

Chris J Dixon

Simon Stroud wrote:

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
I'm just after an idea of what to put down on the bathroom floor after
recently stripping everything put & installing a new bathroom...

It would be nice to be able to get to the floorboards if desperately
required - the plumbing runs under the floor.

As others have mentioned, a nice layer of, say, 6mm WBP ply fixed to the
floor would provide an excellent base for vinyl or, if you are a little more
adventurous, something like vinyl "tiles" such as Karndean or (vastly more
expensive) Amtico.

And the maintenance access beneath it?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
adder

Chris J Dixon wrote in message . ..
And the maintenance access beneath it?

Chris

Why would you need it?
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
adder wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote in message . ..
And the maintenance access beneath it?

Chris

Why would you need it?

Access to the pipes under the floorboards "just in case".

I guess I'm just a bit paranoid... 2 x 22mm pipes come into the bathroom
under the door, then make a right turn and lie into notches cut into
the joists. Theres a pair of push-fit Ts to 15mm leading to the sink
which I installed, then another set of soldered Ts to 15mm leading
to where the sink used to be (I've capped these with soldered caps)
then they come above the floor under the bath there I've Td (push-fit)
them off to 15mm to the shower, then they have a right-angle (push-fit)
to a flexy hose to the bath taps. So far so good and I'm happy with my
plumbing, but ...

I guess I'm fortunate in that underneath is an alleyway, so if they do leak
then it's not going to ruin any rooms...

SWIMBO is the type who just steps out of the bath dripping wet, so
whatever it is, it's going to have to be well sealed anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions so-far!

Gordon
Capitol

Chris J Dixon wrote:

And the maintenance access beneath it?

Always fit a suspended ceiling below bathrooms.

Regards
Capitol

Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Capitol wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

And the maintenance access beneath it?

Always fit a suspended ceiling below bathrooms.

Excellent idea, but in my case, thehouse is ~260 years old and where the
bathroom is, it's over an alleyway (which used to be used for horse drawn
carts to get in & out) and the ceiling is about 4m above the ground...

After reading the replies here and a few private emails, I think I'm
going to go for a laminate type flooring - which could be lifted in an
emergency. I do have isolation-valves fitted where the water supply
to the bathroom leaves the airing cupboard though.

Cheers,

Gordon