Simon Stroud

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
I'm just after an idea of what to put down on the bathroom floor after
recently stripping everything put & installing a new bathroom...

Previously were old varnished cork tiles (which I removed the hard way)

and
carpet on top of that (yuk).... I was thinking of some thick cushion-floor
vinyl type material, but the floorboards aren't really that good - not
too even and a bit rough on-top with the occasional gouge caused by my
enthusiasm to remove the cork tiles...

Laminate flooring? I hear there's stuff suitable for bathroom use now,
but I'm not convinced. What does it need under it?

It would be nice to be able to get to the floorboards if desperately
required - the plumbing runs under the floor.

Below the floor is a gap then the ceiling attached to the floor is lath &
plaster and below that - nothing - an alleyway at the side of the house,
so it's a bit on the cold side in winter, which is why I thought the
vinyl might be an option, but after seeing the state of the floorboards,
I suspect I'd have to lay down something flat first.

Anyone with any alternatives? All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks,

Gordon

Hello Gordon,

As others have mentioned, a nice layer of, say, 6mm WBP ply fixed to the
floor would provide an excellent base for vinyl or, if you are a little more
adventurous, something like vinyl "tiles" such as Karndean or (vastly more
expensive) Amtico.

I have fitted Karndean flooring in both our recent bathrooms and have been
very pleased with the results.

You can see some of my previous posts on the subject via Google:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...news.com#link4

or

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...rnet.com#link8

However this doesn't satisfy your requirement for possible future access
under the floor.

One other point - for this type of floor the ply needs to be SCREWED down
and all screwheads/gaps/cracks filled and sanded and the whole lot given a
coat or two of PVA. For ordinary vinyl you probably don't have to be quite
as careful with the preparation.

Good luck.

Regards,
Simon.