Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water-damaged exterior doors

I have two exterior doors that are water damaged. They are typical
wood fremed - masonite skinned doors. They were properly painted and
sealed when installed about 5 years ago but the masonite has become
water-logged, has bubbled and has delaminated from the frame.

I have done my best to reduce the water that spashes onto the doors
but now must repair the doors. I think there is no point in re-
skinning them with masonite.

I understand there are fibreglas doors made for use in damp areas. I
can't afford to replace the doors but could I re-skin them with
fibreglass in place of the masonite?

What would you use to repair a door such as this?? Can I purchase
fibreglass sheets such as used in fibreglas exterior doors?? Can you
suggests another repair method.

Thanks, Eric
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RubEric wrote:
I have two exterior doors that are water damaged. They are typical
wood fremed - masonite skinned doors. They were properly painted and
sealed when installed about 5 years ago but the masonite has become
water-logged, has bubbled and has delaminated from the frame.

I have done my best to reduce the water that spashes onto the doors
but now must repair the doors. I think there is no point in re-
skinning them with masonite.

Don't have any really better suggestions other than install storm doors
if they fail that rapidly and aren't going to replace them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RubEric" wrote in message
I have two exterior doors that are water damaged. They are typical
wood fremed - masonite skinned doors. They were properly painted and
sealed when installed about 5 years ago but the masonite has become
water-logged, has bubbled and has delaminated from the frame.

I have done my best to reduce the water that spashes onto the doors
but now must repair the doors. I think there is no point in re-
skinning them with masonite.

I understand there are fibreglas doors made for use in damp areas. I
can't afford to replace the doors but could I re-skin them with
fibreglass in place of the masonite?

What would you use to repair a door such as this?? Can I purchase
fibreglass sheets such as used in fibreglas exterior doors?? Can you
suggests another repair method.

Thanks, Eric

I don't know of any process to skin doors with fiberglass.

I would remove the door and sand it thoroughly until smooth. Use a patching
compound (2 part with hardener at hardware store like Bondo) to fill any
imperfections and make the door smooth again. Completely remove any rotted
or softened wood/masonite and fix with the patching compound.

After sanding and patching to satisfaction, paint with a good sealing primer
like Kilz and a quality paint. Glossy Oil based paint may stand up better
to moisture so use a compatible primer if you use Oil or Latex. Make sure
to paint all surfaces especially the bottom of the door. You may need to
remove and replace any weather strip that might be there. Use 2 coats min,
3 or 4 near the bottom for extra protection.

Finally address the source of the moisture by whatever means is necessary.
Fix the gutter, replace the door sill, install a cement stoop, put in a
storm door, whatever it takes.

A fiberglass or steel replacement door would be best. Cost for the door is
not bad if you can install it yourself. Steel and fiberglass doors with
wood edges can sometimes be planed to fit an existing opening

Posted to alt.home.repair

RubEric wrote in news:a3c92782-55dc-4df2-b609-
:

I have two exterior doors that are water damaged. They are typical
wood fremed - masonite skinned doors. They were properly painted and
sealed when installed about 5 years ago but the masonite has become
water-logged, has bubbled and has delaminated from the frame.

I have done my best to reduce the water that spashes onto the doors
but now must repair the doors. I think there is no point in re-
skinning them with masonite.

I understand there are fibreglas doors made for use in damp areas. I
can't afford to replace the doors but could I re-skin them with
fibreglass in place of the masonite?

What would you use to repair a door such as this?? Can I purchase
fibreglass sheets such as used in fibreglas exterior doors?? Can you
suggests another repair method.

Thanks, Eric

Masonite sucks in water prone areas. It only survives (sometimes) when
it's primed and painted, especially edges, right off at install and never
let go until you can see it needs painting again. Paint before it needs
painting.

Replace the door with a new prehung steel door. Around here, $125. You
get new door, hinges, weatherstrip, exterior brick mold, sill and jambs.
Hopefully you can install it yourself. If not, learn. In the end you'll
be happier.

And mind what "pipedown" said about addressing the source of the
moisture. Steel doors can rust at the bottom when beat with moisture
badly for extended periods. The jambs are wood and can rot. Seal the
bottoms of exterior brick molding with primer. And if you really want to
cap the seal, smear with silicone.

Finishing exterior steel doors Pete_MedSoft Woodworking 4 July 11th 07 01:52 PM
Pine exterior doors 51 UK diy 9 October 11th 06 06:26 PM
Exterior doors question TrailRat Woodworking 14 June 9th 06 02:13 AM
Exterior doors Nigel Molesworth UK diy 8 February 26th 06 11:02 AM
Sealer/Primer for Exterior Doors? Scott Townsend Home Repair 5 February 23rd 06 03:18 PM