Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Water-damaged exterior doors

RubEric wrote in news:a3c92782-55dc-4df2-b609-
:

I have two exterior doors that are water damaged. They are typical
wood fremed - masonite skinned doors. They were properly painted and
sealed when installed about 5 years ago but the masonite has become
water-logged, has bubbled and has delaminated from the frame.

I have done my best to reduce the water that spashes onto the doors
but now must repair the doors. I think there is no point in re-
skinning them with masonite.

I understand there are fibreglas doors made for use in damp areas. I
can't afford to replace the doors but could I re-skin them with
fibreglass in place of the masonite?

What would you use to repair a door such as this?? Can I purchase
fibreglass sheets such as used in fibreglas exterior doors?? Can you
suggests another repair method.

Thanks, Eric

Masonite sucks in water prone areas. It only survives (sometimes) when
it's primed and painted, especially edges, right off at install and never
let go until you can see it needs painting again. Paint before it needs
painting.

Replace the door with a new prehung steel door. Around here, $125. You
get new door, hinges, weatherstrip, exterior brick mold, sill and jambs.
Hopefully you can install it yourself. If not, learn. In the end you'll
be happier.

And mind what "pipedown" said about addressing the source of the
moisture. Steel doors can rust at the bottom when beat with moisture
badly for extended periods. The jambs are wood and can rot. Seal the
bottoms of exterior brick molding with primer. And if you really want to
cap the seal, smear with silicone.