Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Townsend

Default Sealer/Primer for Exterior Doors?

We just received our Exterior doors for the Granny unit and the contractor
does not want to put them up until we seal or paint them. We do not know the
color scheme yet, so we don't know what color to paint. What can I put on
the doors to seal them from the weather, but be able to paint on top of it
later?

The Contractor said to not just use a primer, as primer paints are not
sealers.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
om...
We just received our Exterior doors for the Granny unit and the contractor
does not want to put them up until we seal or paint them. We do not know

the
color scheme yet, so we don't know what color to paint. What can I put on
the doors to seal them from the weather, but be able to paint on top of it
later?

The Contractor said to not just use a primer, as primer paints are not
sealers.

Prime and paint in a neutral color. As long as you pick your 'real' color in
the first year or so, a light sanding and a tack rag should be all the prep
you need to paint over that. By color scheme, I assume you mean the inside?
On the outside, just paint the same color as the doors on the main house-
it'll look funny otherwise.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Oil primer seals and is better than latex.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Scott Townsend wrote:
We just received our Exterior doors for the Granny unit and the contractor
does not want to put them up until we seal or paint them. We do not know the
color scheme yet, so we don't know what color to paint. What can I put on
the doors to seal them from the weather, but be able to paint on top of it
later?

The Contractor said to not just use a primer, as primer paints are not
sealers.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott-

Assuming you have wood doors? If you have no clue as to color, put on a
sealer and a coat of satin varnish. Leaving a wood door exposed to
elements may warp it, loosen joins, raise grain, etc. If it gets hot
sun, especially behind a storm door, varnish may not last long. Good
idea in that situation to open the window of the storm door a tad to let
air circulate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn in
nk.net:

Assuming you have wood doors? If you have no clue as to color, put on
a sealer and a coat of satin varnish. Leaving a wood door exposed to
elements may warp it, loosen joins, raise grain, etc. If it gets hot
sun, especially behind a storm door, varnish may not last long. Good
idea in that situation to open the window of the storm door a tad to
let air circulate.

also assuming wood-based door, i'd prime with oil, or at least one layer should be oil.
also similar to above caution: don't paint exterior woods with dark colors; too much
expansion & contraction where sunshine strikes. (reds are "darker" than they appear, but
i'm not sure about light absorption differences within the spectrum).