Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preventing drill bit slippage

I am using a 1/2" masonry bit in an old hammer-drill. At the slightest
catch, the bit slips, even to the point of coming out. It uses the old
screw thing to tighten.

I am thinking of grinding the bit up and down the bare spot. Any other
ideas?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in
et:

I am using a 1/2" masonry bit in an old hammer-drill. At the slightest
catch, the bit slips, even to the point of coming out. It uses the old
screw thing to tighten.

I am thinking of grinding the bit up and down the bare spot. Any other
ideas?

John

replace the chuck with a new one.If the bit shank is damaged,get a new bit.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote in
:

"John" wrote in
et:

I am using a 1/2" masonry bit in an old hammer-drill. At the
slightest catch, the bit slips, even to the point of coming out. It
uses the old screw thing to tighten.

I am thinking of grinding the bit up and down the bare spot. Any
other ideas?

John

replace the chuck with a new one.If the bit shank is damaged,get a new
bit.

Who woulda thought... :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
Jim Yanik wrote in
:

"John" wrote in
et:

I am using a 1/2" masonry bit in an old hammer-drill. At the
slightest catch, the bit slips, even to the point of coming out. It
uses the old screw thing to tighten.

I am thinking of grinding the bit up and down the bare spot. Any
other ideas?

John

replace the chuck with a new one.If the bit shank is damaged,get a new
bit.

Who woulda thought... :-)

Problem solved. I asked a friend and he told me to just grind a little bit
off three sides of the shank of the masonry bit. I did; it ground like
butter. And when the bit grabbed the material, it threw me against the
wall. Success!

John