DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Preventing drill bit slippage (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/247457-preventing-drill-bit-slippage.html)

John April 26th 08 03:03 AM

Preventing drill bit slippage

I am using a 1/2" masonry bit in an old hammer-drill. At the slightest
catch, the bit slips, even to the point of coming out. It uses the old
screw thing to tighten.

I am thinking of grinding the bit up and down the bare spot. Any other
ideas?

John

Jim Yanik April 26th 08 03:51 AM

Preventing drill bit slippage

"John" wrote in
et:

I am using a 1/2" masonry bit in an old hammer-drill. At the slightest
catch, the bit slips, even to the point of coming out. It uses the old
screw thing to tighten.

I am thinking of grinding the bit up and down the bare spot. Any other
ideas?

John

replace the chuck with a new one.If the bit shank is damaged,get a new bit.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Red Green April 27th 08 04:50 AM

Preventing drill bit slippage

Jim Yanik wrote in
:

"John" wrote in
et:

I am using a 1/2" masonry bit in an old hammer-drill. At the
slightest catch, the bit slips, even to the point of coming out. It
uses the old screw thing to tighten.

I am thinking of grinding the bit up and down the bare spot. Any
other ideas?

John

replace the chuck with a new one.If the bit shank is damaged,get a new
bit.

Who woulda thought... :-)

John April 29th 08 02:31 PM

Preventing drill bit slippage

"Red Green" wrote in message
Jim Yanik wrote in
:

"John" wrote in
et:

I am using a 1/2" masonry bit in an old hammer-drill. At the
slightest catch, the bit slips, even to the point of coming out. It
uses the old screw thing to tighten.

I am thinking of grinding the bit up and down the bare spot. Any
other ideas?

John

replace the chuck with a new one.If the bit shank is damaged,get a new
bit.

Who woulda thought... :-)

Problem solved. I asked a friend and he told me to just grind a little bit
off three sides of the shank of the masonry bit. I did; it ground like
butter. And when the bit grabbed the material, it threw me against the
wall. Success!

John