Posted to alt.home.repair

Default simple, but stupid

New kitchen, new sink. the strainer will stop water draining, but to
allow water out, you have to lift it up and instead of the water
draing thru the 'strainer' holes, it goes around the edges, defeating
the purpose of the strainer. I tried adjusting the rubber seal and
suceeded only in having it fall off. Considering how difficult it has
been to dealo with Home Depot (as contractor) throughout this process,
I shudder to ask them. I guess I need a strainer with a longer stem?
Posted to alt.home.repair

finding z0 wrote:
New kitchen, new sink. the strainer will stop water draining, but to
allow water out, you have to lift it up and instead of the water
draing thru the 'strainer' holes, it goes around the edges, defeating
the purpose of the strainer. I tried adjusting the rubber seal and
suceeded only in having it fall off. Considering how difficult it has
been to dealo with Home Depot (as contractor) throughout this process,
I shudder to ask them. I guess I need a strainer with a longer stem?

I'd replace the whole assembly and then return the old one as defective.
It is obviously not working as designed and the mgfr. and retailer
need to be aware that they're selling ****e parts.

That said, I did the same work myself in my house not that long ago and
bought a sink, strainer, and faucet from a local independent plumbing
supply and the strainer assy. was *HEAVY* chrome plated brass and
significantly more substantial feeling than anything I saw at That
Orange-Colored Store Whose Name I Will Not Invoke. Also used an O-ring
for a seal rather than a rubber stopper, which means that if I don't
remodel the kitchen in time for this unit to stop sealing, repairing it
will be a 10 minute job if I stop for a beer break in the middle and
will probably cost less than $2 (adjusted for inflation.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"finding z0" wrote in message
New kitchen, new sink. the strainer will stop water draining, but to
allow water out, you have to lift it up and instead of the water
draing thru the 'strainer' holes, it goes around the edges, defeating
the purpose of the strainer.

If the opening around hte edges is the same or smaller than the strainer, it
will still do the same job of preventing solids too large to pass.

Considering how difficult it has
been to dealo with Home Depot (as contractor) throughout this process,
I shudder to ask them.

Now you know why most of us here recommend NOT going to Home Depot.

I guess I need a strainer with a longer stem?

I'd like a longer stem too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 1:07*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski"

I guess I need a strainer with a longer stem?

I'd like a longer stem too.

Ha!
I didn't get it until i read it to my wife. Be back in little
while...thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"finding z0" wrote

New kitchen, new sink. the strainer will stop water draining, but to
allow water out, you have to lift it up and instead of the water
draing thru the 'strainer' holes, it goes around the edges, defeating
the purpose of the strainer.

Is it that old fashioned kind where you pick up the middle
handle/stem part and give the thing a quarter turn? I guess
it lifts up the rubber ring for water to drain, yet doesn't create
a gap for food to go down.

If I'm being as clear as mud it's because I haven't used that
type in a really long time. That's how I remember they worked.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 5:16 pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:
"finding z0" wrote

New kitchen, new sink. the strainer will stop water draining, but to
allow water out, you have to lift it up and instead of the water
draing thru the 'strainer' holes, it goes around the edges, defeating
the purpose of the strainer.

Is it that old fashioned kind where you pick up the middle
handle/stem part and give the thing a quarter turn? I guess
it lifts up the rubber ring for water to drain, yet doesn't create
a gap for food to go down.

If I'm being as clear as mud it's because I haven't used that
type in a really long time. That's how I remember they worked.

nancy

Yes. I tried turning it but nada.
Posted to alt.home.repair

finding z0 wrote:

New kitchen, new sink. the strainer will stop water draining, but to
allow water out, you have to lift it up and instead of the water
draing thru the 'strainer' holes, it goes around the edges, defeating
the purpose of the strainer. I tried adjusting the rubber seal and
suceeded only in having it fall off. Considering how difficult it has
been to dealo with Home Depot (as contractor) throughout this process,
I shudder to ask them. I guess I need a strainer with a longer stem?

I can't imagine a sink strainer working the way you describe - why, on
earth, would water not
drain through the holes????? Has it got shrink wrap or something on the
basket? Try taking
it back to the place where you purchased the sink to find out either how
it should work or
whether the basket got switched from a different sink.