Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

Default Window questions!

G'day folks:

I am interested in learning more about window inserts. We're thinking
of replacing our windows this year, my husband had someone come last
night to measure and provide a quote.

Our house is about 35 years old, and the windows are quite drafty. We
cover a lot of them with plastic in winter.

On the subject of windows, we're fairly clueless. The man who came to
measure was very informative, explained the difference between single
and double hung, inserts vs. completely new windows, etc. We're
thinking of going with the inserts, although he did caution that
there's no way to know if the frames are properly insulated, which is
a bit of a concern. Double hung sounds like a better option, but is
it?

So, what experiences do you fine folks have on putting new windows or
inserts into a house?

Thanks,

KD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 7:39*am, KD wrote:
[...]

All glass is different, You can go from R1 to R7 windows. Loewen has
different glass for different parts of the country and sides of your
home. You should get the specs of what you are looking at, be sure a
rea lab did the testing and compare them. www.EnergyStar.gov is a
good place to learn about windows and what you can save on your
utility bills. Windows are commonly overlooked as to how you can save
money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KD wrote:

[...]

The place to begin is figuring out why your present windows are drafty.
Got single pane with
storms? No storms? Wood? Aluminum? It is possible that the solution
is just adequate caulking
around the outside of the window, but not usually that simple. When I
lived in an uninsulated
rental home years ago, with aluminum windows, I recaulked around the
outside one fall. The
gas bill went down 20% that winter. It was one story, on a slab and
with no windbreaks, so the
north end of that house was still cold in winter.

If the windows are sound, and you need storms, then perhaps that is the
solution. Also look at
how they fit in the frames .. new weatherstripping in double hungs is
also a possible solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Inserts are the cheaper way to go, also you can looking at glazing
where the pane actually sits in the window its a painful task, but I
can give you a walk through if you like.

http://portfolioofwork.blogspot.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KD" wrote in message

On the subject of windows, we're fairly clueless. The man who came to
measure was very informative, explained the difference between single
and double hung, inserts vs. completely new windows, etc. We're
thinking of going with the inserts, although he did caution that
there's no way to know if the frames are properly insulated, which is
a bit of a concern. Double hung sounds like a better option, but is
it?

Not in my opinion. Double-hung windows mean both top & bottom panes slide
up/down. Single-hung, only the bottom one moves. This by itself means
single-hung windows are less drafty. How many times do you really need to
lower the top pane anyhow?

As for the insert vs complete replace thing, I'm on the "complete replace"
side, having done just that three years ago to all the glass in this house.
If you get insert windows, they will look like insert windows. You'll end up
with your current frame's width plus whatever width the insert window's
frame is. You are probably talking 5-6" from the inside edge of the insert
window to the outer edge of the existing wood trim.

One other type to consider is awning-type windows. They're actually the most
draft-free since they have something to seal against, something to pull
tight against. In windy areas (40 + mph I'd say, like this area from time
to time) my vinyl windows sometimes whistle, which awning-types wouldn't do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob M." wrote in
news
"KD" wrote in message
.
..

On the subject of windows, we're fairly clueless. The man who came to
measure was very informative, explained the difference between single
and double hung, inserts vs. completely new windows, etc. We're
thinking of going with the inserts, although he did caution that
there's no way to know if the frames are properly insulated, which is
a bit of a concern. Double hung sounds like a better option, but is
it?

Not in my opinion. Double-hung windows mean both top & bottom panes
slide up/down. Single-hung, only the bottom one moves. This by itself
means single-hung windows are less drafty. How many times do you
really need to lower the top pane anyhow?

To paint them is about it.