Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Beaver

Default Two window questions

I've got a window that's leaking through the glass/wood joint (it's a
non-opening window in a high dormer). What's the best way to seal it?

Same window: sunlight during part of each day shines through and strikes a
table filled with photographs, which are fading with this direct light. I'd
like to put some kind of UV film on the glass (it's probably 15-18 feet
high, so a shade is impractical). What's the best way to go about that?
(I've looked under Glass and under Window Films in the Yellow Pages, etc.,
but can find nothing but autoglass shops.)

Jim Beaver

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Jim Beaver wrote:
I've got a window that's leaking through the glass/wood joint (it's a
non-opening window in a high dormer). What's the best way to seal it?

Remove the old glazing compound and re-glaze it.

Same window: sunlight during part of each day shines through and
strikes a table filled with photographs, which are fading with this
direct light. I'd like to put some kind of UV film on the glass
(it's probably 15-18 feet high, so a shade is impractical). What's
the best way to go about that? (I've looked under Glass and under
Window Films in the Yellow Pages, etc., but can find nothing but
autoglass shops.)
Jim Beaver

Glass does a good job of blocking UV but not 100%. I understand the
newer multi pane windows with the heat film inside do a much better job.

What kind of photos do you have? There are very large differences in
how resistant to fading. A good archival processed silver based and
properly toned print will last a very long time. A typical inkjet print
will have a very short life.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Even without UV the photos will fade, have copies made and store a set
in dark.

Posted to alt.home.repair

another solution to the photo problem would be to leave the window
glass alone and change out the glass in the photo frames with UV glass.
I know that custom framing shops carry this, but I'm sure you could
get it cheaper through an auto glass place.

my cousin owns a Glass Doctor franchise, which does auto glass and home
windows etc. I'm sure you could go to a similar place and have some
pieces cut for your photos.

http://www.glassdoctor.com/ you can put in your zip code to find a
glass doctor near you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnR66

wrote in message
ups.com...
another solution to the photo problem would be to leave the window
glass alone and change out the glass in the photo frames with UV glass.
I know that custom framing shops carry this, but I'm sure you could
get it cheaper through an auto glass place.

my cousin owns a Glass Doctor franchise, which does auto glass and home
windows etc. I'm sure you could go to a similar place and have some
pieces cut for your photos.

http://www.glassdoctor.com/ you can put in your zip code to find a
glass doctor near you.

m Ransley is right on. UV glass will do little if the photos are getting
direct sunlight on them. Intense visible light will fade them quickly.
John

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Central Air v. Window-unit Air? Nehmo Home Ownership 143 August 20th 05 08:33 AM
Does a double hung window have a circulation advantage over a roll type in a one window bathroom? Bob Valor Home Repair 5 July 14th 05 07:05 AM
Fitting new first-floor window Lobster UK diy 3 April 20th 05 07:20 AM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM