Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Main Panel and Sub Panel questions and the NEC

Hi all. I need help understanding some parts of the NEC as they
pertain to my sevice feed and sub panels.

I had my service loop replaced recently from an old 60 amp service
that fed 2 55 amp sub panels directly from a fused disconnect at the
meter.

The new service loop is 200 amps. The existing feed lines, etc to the
subpanels were kept in place and fed via 55 amp breakers, removing the
old fused disconnect.

The electrician installed a 200 amp breaker panel with main lugs only
(No main breaker). He said something about "As long as there are not
any 100 amp feeds to subpanels, a main breaker is not required".

The electrical inspector passed the install with no problems.

Is this correct?

Also, on my subpanels, there is no "Main" breaker either. They are old
screw-buss fuse panels with lugs only. If I replace them, are they
REQUIRED to have a Main Breaker on the sub-panel?

I have a copy of the NEC, but I'm a little lost on these details.

THANKS!
-A
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 31, 12:48*pm, Guy Noir wrote:
[...]

The final arbiter is your building inspector. If he passed it, there's
no code violation. For possible changes, let the building code people
answer the question. From a common sense standpoint if you get rid of
fuses you need some replacement circuit protection which is in the
NEC, just not obvious. Better answers can be found in wiring methods
books that make the NEC legalese less obscure. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 1:14*pm, Joe wrote:
[...]

Sure, the fuse disconnect from the meter was replaced by circuit
breakers, but the sub panels themselves have no main, lugs only. So
the circuit goes from the main panel breaker to the sub lug only.
Just curious if the replacements subs need mains or main lugs are fine
as a replacement....

Thanks for the feedback.

-A

just not obvious. Better answers can be found in wiring methods
books that make the NEC legalese less obscure. Good luck.

Joe- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 4:57*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:48:28 -0700 (PDT), Guy Noir

wrote:
[...]

Your 200a panel is not a lighting and appliance panel since the branch
circuits do not originate there. You are limited to 6 disconnects in
there. It could be for feeders to your fuse panels or you could add a
couple big loads directly to the panel. Just remember total needs to
be six or less. As long as your sub-panels are individually protected
at the feed end they don't need a "main" in the panel.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the info. That was very helpful! I hooked my Central Air/
Electric furnace direct to the 200A panel as well as my feeders to the
subs. I'll make sure to keep it at or under 6!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 31, 4:57*pm, "S. Barker" wrote:
So, using this line of thinking, the building inspector(s) are gods and can
never make a mistake?

You totally missed the point, which is: You can't fight City Hall. And
also, in many years of dealing with building inspection I have had
valuable help from many very knowledgeable folks. That's the way it is
in small midwest towns, so YMMV. Of course we all make mistakes,
including inspection staff, but IMO there's more grief from badly
written codes than personnel supervising compliance.
Cheers,

Joe