Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hitachi Power Tools - any experience?

I've been looking to replace my cast iron 10" miter saw before I
seriously get hurt. Among other things the brake is shot, cord strain
relief going into motor housing is half broken (probably from using at
10 below zero), doesn't cut 45 degree bevel 90 degrees perpendicular.

I never had, used or know anyone that owns Hitachi equipment. Lowes has
reduced the price of a 12" DUAL bevel from 319 to 289. They are
currently having a 15% off power tools sale which brings this to like
$246 and I have a $10 off coupon. So 236 for a dual bevel 12" is pretty
damm good when compared to what I see.

Sure, I know I can get some POS from Harbor Freight. The only
question is how does the quality of Hitachi compare to say Ridgid,
DeWalt, Craftsman. I know Ridgid has lifetime warranty now. Hatachi
gives 5 yrs on miter saws.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...FDH&lpage=none

Not a contractor but I use it a lot rebuilding foreclosed "HUD Wrecks".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 11:26 pm, Red Green wrote:
I've been looking to replace my cast iron 10" miter saw before I
seriously get hurt. Among other things the brake is shot, cord strain
relief going into motor housing is half broken (probably from using at
10 below zero), doesn't cut 45 degree bevel 90 degrees perpendicular.

I never had, used or know anyone that owns Hitachi equipment. Lowes has
reduced the price of a 12" DUAL bevel from 319 to 289. They are
currently having a 15% off power tools sale which brings this to like
$246 and I have a $10 off coupon. So 236 for a dual bevel 12" is pretty
damm good when compared to what I see.

Sure, I know I can get some POS from Harbor Freight. The only
question is how does the quality of Hitachi compare to say Ridgid,
DeWalt, Craftsman. I know Ridgid has lifetime warranty now. Hatachi
gives 5 yrs on miter saws.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=157783-...

Not a contractor but I use it a lot rebuilding foreclosed "HUD Wrecks".

First, every company seems to have some tools that they do well and
others that are duds. Generally, however, Hitachi is a company that
produces professional quality tools for the most part. Rigid and
Craftsman are definitely aimed at the homeowner market IMO. DeWalt
has some decent tools. That is speaking generally, however. Like I
said, each company has it's winners and losers.

I've had a Hitachi slide saw for over 10 years that has served me
well. Can't say about the model you are looking at. One thing I
don't like is all the bells and whistles they are adding which just
seem like gimmicks to me. Something tells me it would hold up just
fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

[...]

Our area is blessed with a really top notch contractor supply company.
It's the kind of place where you take a really tough problem and walk
out in 10 minutes with the tool to do it right. The counter guys are
super knowledgeable about trade tools, fasteners and such. Last time I
was there we had a conversation about Hitachi offerings, and I was
surprised at how highly regarded the line is. Only hearsay, of course,
but FWIW I'd definitely go for the deal at Lowes. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
SBH SBH is offline

I currently have the Hitachi Router and portable table saw, which I use very
frequently for about one and a half years now and they are still running
strong and true.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:26:40 -0000, Red Green
wrote:

[...]

I can't speak about Hitachi. A friend tends too gravitate towards them
when window shopping. I have a DeWalt 12".

Moving the saw became a lot easier when I mounted it permanently on a
"Miter Saw Utility Vehicle ". It works perfect, easy moving to and
from the job site. I love the MSUV, saves my back! A DeWalt saw
mounted on a Ridgid, folding, rolling table. *

http://www.ridgid.com/tools/AC9940-MSUV/index.htm

Worth every penny....

*
RIDGID’s Miter Saw Utility Vehicle gives you the maximum mileage from
your miter saw. Folded for transport, the MS-UV rolls your mounted saw
to wherever it’s needed on large wheels that easily handle rough
terrain or stairs. On site, it unfolds in three quick steps to form a
rigid stand that supports 8 ft. stock. Test drive the MS-UV and you’ll
be finished forever with makeshift miter saw setups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

I can't speak about Hitachi. A friend tends too gravitate towards them
when window shopping. I have a DeWalt 12".

Moving the saw became a lot easier when I mounted it permanently on a
"Miter Saw Utility Vehicle ". It works perfect, easy moving to and
from the job site. I love the MSUV, saves my back! A DeWalt saw
mounted on a Ridgid, folding, rolling table. *

http://www.ridgid.com/tools/AC9940-MSUV/index.htm

I've got the same Dewalt/Ridgid MSUV configuration! It is a GREAT setup. As
much as I like the Dewalt miter saw, I think I'm going to go with the Ridgid
12" CMS next. I have a couple of Ridgid power tools and they are superb IMO.

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

[...]

All I know about Ridgid is they make great plumbing tools. I have DeWalt,
not miter saw, and think its a little overrated. Craftsman power tools, a
notch above Harbor Freight, is not in the same league as Hitachi. Check out
the reviews on Fine Woodworking. This one is from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-C12FDH...6836320&sr=1-1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:52:57 GMT, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

Oren wrote:

I can't speak about Hitachi. A friend tends too gravitate towards them
when window shopping. I have a DeWalt 12".

Moving the saw became a lot easier when I mounted it permanently on a
"Miter Saw Utility Vehicle ". It works perfect, easy moving to and
from the job site. I love the MSUV, saves my back! A DeWalt saw
mounted on a Ridgid, folding, rolling table. *

http://www.ridgid.com/tools/AC9940-MSUV/index.htm

I've got the same Dewalt/Ridgid MSUV configuration! It is a GREAT setup. As
much as I like the Dewalt miter saw, I think I'm going to go with the Ridgid
12" CMS next. I have a couple of Ridgid power tools and they are superb IMO.

I've been window shopping for the (sliding) SCMS. Not really a need to
change, but I like tool candy

Mounting the DW saw on the MSUV did not have default mount holes, for
the DW (did for other brands). I set the saw and had to drill one hole
for one bolt to match up. That's just the way I mounted the saw....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

I've been looking to replace my cast iron 10" miter saw before I
seriously get hurt. Among other things the brake is shot, cord strain
relief going into motor housing is half broken (probably from using at
10 below zero), doesn't cut 45 degree bevel 90 degrees perpendicular.

I never had, used or know anyone that owns Hitachi equipment. Lowes
has reduced the price of a 12" DUAL bevel from 319 to 289. They are
currently having a 15% off power tools sale which brings this to like
$246 and I have a $10 off coupon. So 236 for a dual bevel 12" is
pretty damm good when compared to what I see.

Sure, I know I can get some POS from Harbor Freight. The only
question is how does the quality of Hitachi compare to say Ridgid,
DeWalt, Craftsman. I know Ridgid has lifetime warranty now. Hatachi
gives 5 yrs on miter saws.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ctId=157783-67
702-C12FDH&lpage=none

Not a contractor but I use it a lot rebuilding foreclosed "HUD
Wrecks".

Thanks for the feedback all. Sounds decent from what I read and your
replies. If the quality turns out well and meets my needs, which I'm
sure it will, it's a really good deal (hmmm, the movie Fargo just popped
to mind) comparatively.

It's done. Picked it up tonight. It indeed was $236+tax. Check out
tomorrow.

One thing I've already learned about 12' ones. Blades are a lot more
expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
It's done. Picked it up tonight. It indeed was $236+tax. Check out
tomorrow.

One thing I've already learned about 12' ones. Blades are a lot more
expensive.

The 12" blades last longer though, more teeth to share in the cutting. And
they can be resharpened

Enjoy the new tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
It's done. Picked it up tonight. It indeed was $236+tax. Check out
tomorrow.

One thing I've already learned about 12' ones. Blades are a lot more
expensive.

The 12" blades last longer though, more teeth to share in the cutting.
And they can be resharpened

Enjoy the new tool.

Edwin:

Is it worth having them resharpened or are you talking about sharpening
yourself if you want to deal with it? Self sharpen carbide???

If having them done elsewhere my first guess would be to try a tool
repair shop or an outdoor power equipment place that has a repair shop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
Edwin:

Is it worth having them resharpened or are you talking about sharpening
yourself if you want to deal with it? Self sharpen carbide???

If having them done elsewhere my first guess would be to try a tool
repair shop or an outdoor power equipment place that has a repair shop.

Sharpening them right takes special equipment. I've had mine done here
http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/shar...8e001a75 4060

A 12" blade with 80 teeth is $16 plus shipping. A really good blade is $50
to $150 so it is well worth sharpening them. I bought a DeWalt 12" miter
saw. The blade was OK, but then I lent it to someone doing laminate
flooring, knowing the blade would be trashed when the job was done. I sent
it to Ridge Carbide and it came back better than when it was new.

If I ever need a new blade, this is the one I'd get
http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/prod...648e001a754060

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
Edwin:

Is it worth having them resharpened or are you talking about
sharpening yourself if you want to deal with it? Self sharpen
carbide???

If having them done elsewhere my first guess would be to try a tool
repair shop or an outdoor power equipment place that has a repair
shop.

Sharpening them right takes special equipment. I've had mine done
here
http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/shar...d4ac32256a697e
9648e001a754060

A 12" blade with 80 teeth is $16 plus shipping. A really good blade
is $50 to $150 so it is well worth sharpening them. I bought a DeWalt
12" miter saw. The blade was OK, but then I lent it to someone doing
laminate flooring, knowing the blade would be trashed when the job was
done. I sent it to Ridge Carbide and it came back better than when it
was new.

If I ever need a new blade, this is the one I'd get
http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/prod..._33&products_i
d=43&osCsid=a51d4ac32256a697e9648e001a754060

Thanks again Edwin. I kept that link. I see they are in NJ. From where I
am I see it will cost me $5.50 to ship it. Assume about the same to
return so $27 for a "new" blade.

That laminate flooring kills them. First one I put down I had a new steel
plywood blade laying around. Maybe 6 cuts and it was blue smoke trashed.
Carbide did well for the whole floor. Found out some laminate flooring
has aluminum oxide in it's surface. Same stuff used for metal sanding
paper. Steel blade didn't have a change :-)

I assume the person ran the carbide blade until it blue smoked. Can they
be sharpened when they are at that point?

Red...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:26:39 -0000, Red Green
wrote:

That laminate flooring kills them. First one I put down I had a new steel
plywood blade laying around. Maybe 6 cuts and it was blue smoke trashed.
Carbide did well for the whole floor. Found out some laminate flooring
has aluminum oxide in it's surface. Same stuff used for metal sanding
paper. Steel blade didn't have a change :-)

I assume the person ran the carbide blade until it blue smoked. Can they
be sharpened when they are at that point

I learned the same thing about metal in some flooring. I was wondering
why the blades were dying a fast death.

I've installed urethane flex moulding* and THAT will kill a blade
faster than 5/8" thick Mohawk hardwood flooring

*
Valuflex is a urethane resin and can be used for most interior or
exterior profiles.

http://www.elandelwoodproducts.com/flex.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

That laminate flooring kills them. First one I put down I had a new steel
plywood blade laying around. Maybe 6 cuts and it was blue smoke trashed.
Carbide did well for the whole floor. Found out some laminate flooring
has aluminum oxide in it's surface. Same stuff used for metal sanding
paper. Steel blade didn't have a change :-)

I assume the person ran the carbide blade until it blue smoked. Can they
be sharpened when they are at that point?

Red...

I made three cuts with a steel blade on a tablesaw about 10 years ago. I had
two cuts to go at nigh so I went to WalMart and bought a cheap steel blade
there. Barely made the second cut.

I lent the saw and blade knowing the blade would be trashed and figured I'd
get a new and better one. Since I was sending out a couple of other blades
to be sharpened, I figured I'd take a chance and try getting the DeWalt
blade done too. Bad is it was, it came back better than from the factory.
Cleaner cuts with no splintering. Well worth sharpening as it saved me the
cost of a new blade.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 30, 8:38*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

snip

I figured I'd take a chance and try getting the DeWalt
blade done too. *Bad is it was, it came back better than from the factory.
Cleaner cuts with no splintering. *Well worth sharpening as it saved me the
cost of a new blade.

Similar experience here. Almost every town in the country has a saw
and tool sharpening shop. My experiences with several of them over the
decades has been uniformly great. Some saw blades can be junque right
out of the box, and the shop technician will weed out these losers for
you, maybe even call you to make sure you want to spend the money on a
substandard blade. They also have keen eye for the quality blades. For
example, the Skarpaz blades are highly regarded locally, although the
shop does not have retail sales. Definitely plan to give one a try
next time I need a replacement. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

Red Green wrote in
:

I've been looking to replace my cast iron 10" miter saw before I
seriously get hurt. Among other things the brake is shot, cord strain
relief going into motor housing is half broken (probably from using
at 10 below zero), doesn't cut 45 degree bevel 90 degrees
perpendicular.

I never had, used or know anyone that owns Hitachi equipment. Lowes
has reduced the price of a 12" DUAL bevel from 319 to 289. They are
currently having a 15% off power tools sale which brings this to like
$246 and I have a $10 off coupon. So 236 for a dual bevel 12" is
pretty damm good when compared to what I see.

Sure, I know I can get some POS from Harbor Freight. The only
question is how does the quality of Hitachi compare to say Ridgid,
DeWalt, Craftsman. I know Ridgid has lifetime warranty now. Hatachi
gives 5 yrs on miter saws.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...uctId=157783-6
7 702-C12FDH&lpage=none

Not a contractor but I use it a lot rebuilding foreclosed "HUD
Wrecks".

Thanks for the feedback all. Sounds decent from what I read and your
replies. If the quality turns out well and meets my needs, which I'm
sure it will, it's a really good deal (hmmm, the movie Fargo just
popped to mind) comparatively.

It's done. Picked it up tonight. It indeed was $236+tax. Check out
tomorrow.

One thing I've already learned about 12' ones. Blades are a lot more
expensive.

Had to return it!!!

Finally got to unpack it. Went over it and checked out blade alignments.
All OK right out of box.

There is this fence part that flips out of the way for bevel cuts. When
it was flipped out of the way the left and right main fences were flush
with a straight edge. But when this part was flipped into place in the
middle for non-bevel cutting it did not sit flush with the main fence.
Protruded slightly but 1/16th. No adjustment for this. This meant the
workpiece was never really flush left and right of the blade. Not much
and I could have lived with it but it's brand new and alignment is one
of the reasons I'm replacing the old 10".

I head over to Lowes this morning to check out the display model. It is
indeed flush with main fence. Explain to guy what's up. He agrees it
isn't right. Bring it in and he will exchange. Says he won't be there
but Rebecca will be.

He calls Rebecca over and tells her the story. Rebecca says maybe I
should call Hitachi. Maybe a known problem and they have a fix like
putting a washer in the bolt that the arm pivots on to move it back and
flush with fence. I'm like yep there is a problem but I ain't fixing it.
I haven't even used it yet. Hatachi may tell me to bring it to a service
center. I don't think so. The one on display shows fine. I'll exchange
the one I have for a new one in an unopened box. If you want to call
Hatachi after I return it that's up to you.

I get new one home. Fence and fence part that flips out are all flush.
All blade angles are in alignment right out of box like the first one.

Rain all day here. Maybe tomorrow finally be able to get it dirty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 10:24*pm, Red Green wrote:
Red Green wrote :

Red Green wrote in
:

[...]

Rain all day here. Maybe tomorrow finally be able to get it dirty.- Hide quoted text -

I have the Hitachi 12 inch Laser guided Miter Saw. I absolutely love
it. I think you will be happy with your decision.