Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Miter Saw from harbor freight ?

Anyone here ever used this sliding miter saw from harbour freight ?

Any good ?

Thanks

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

We used one to install about 5000' of base board and crown molding. It has
started to fall apart. The blade guard is now broken and a few other pieces
have fallen off but it still works and paid for it's self.

cm

"James" wrote in message
Anyone here ever used this sliding miter saw from harbour freight ?

Any good ?

Thanks

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 7:30*pm, "James" wrote:
Anyone here ever used this sliding miter saw from harbour freight ?

Any good ?

Thanks

James

Any good for what?

It's a $99.99 sliding miter.

Search the web for name brand 10" sliding miter saws and see what they
cost. Even with a *substantial* price adjustment to account for the
name brand, you'll never get close to $99.99 or even the $139 regular
price. Odds are there's a reason for the price difference.

I guess it all depends on what you need it for and how long you need
it to last.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James" wrote in message

I would use it to cut perhaps ten boards a year. I am not a carpenter, or
much of a handyman.

In that case, it will probably fit your needs. I wouldn't consider it but my
needs are different than yours.

Note that the cutting capacity if 5 3/8" and that a 1 x 6 is 5 1/2". That
can be a PITA. A regular 12" miter saw will cut about 8" but will cost
considerably more.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James" wrote in message
Anyone here ever used this sliding miter saw from harbour freight ?

Any good ?

Thanks

James

Mine cost over $500 but I wouldn't mine having a HF as a backup or leaving
it on a jobsite. It was voted the worst compared to $700 sliding miter saws
but they were not comparing apples to apples relative to dollars that is.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James" wrote:

I would use it to cut perhaps ten boards a year. I am not a carpenter, or
much of a handyman. I have a circular saw that I use a few times a year,
but I just find that I am not "handy" at using it to cut a perfectly
straight line !! I am making some shelfs soon, and very simple items like
that.

Yes, I suspected it would be on the lower quality side........... but it
might last me for 30 years, at ten boards a year. 5000 cuts as indicated
by cm is amazing for a $99 saw !

Thanks again, and I welcome further comments !!

I have the 12" version of the same saw. It works fine and is plenty accurate for
casual home use. Certainly light years ahead of cutting with a hand saw - manual
or power.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:00:03 -0500, "James"
wrote:

Well, these are both good replies, from Darby and cm.

I would use it to cut perhaps ten boards a year. I am not a carpenter, or
much of a handyman. I have a circular saw that I use a few times a year,
but I just find that I am not "handy" at using it to cut a perfectly
straight line !! I am making some shelfs soon, and very simple items like
that.

Yes, I suspected it would be on the lower quality side........... but it
might last me for 30 years, at ten boards a year. 5000 cuts as indicated
by cm is amazing for a $99 saw !

Thanks again, and I welcome further comments !!

James

For occasional use it may be OK for your needs. Also check Sears, they
have some Craftsman non-sliding saws that may be better quality.

Just remember: you get what you pay for!

If you are not in a hurry, wait till spring. With the economy headed
down, construction work falling off, you will see some at flea markets
this summer as construction contractors start selling off their tools.
I've gotten some really good deals that way in the past. A used Makita
or other name brand will be an investment while the HF tool is just a
disposable purchase.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Doesn't the sliding type miter saw allow for wider cuts ?

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 7:33*am, "James" wrote:
Doesn't *the sliding type miter saw allow for wider cuts ?

James

Yes, a lot wider. Mine will miter 45" on a 2x6. I think it goes
wider than that but it does go at _least_ that far.

Harry K
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 8:28*pm, " Frank" wrote:
"James" wrote in message

Anyone here ever used this sliding miter saw from harbour freight ?

Any good ?

Thanks

James

Mine cost over $500 but I wouldn't mine having a HF as a backup or leaving
it on a jobsite. It was voted the worst compared to $700 sliding miter saws
but they were not comparing apples to apples relative to dollars that is.

Correct. For homeowner use, the cheap tools are just fine as long as
their accuracy is acceptable. There are people who insist on pro
quality tools even if they only use them once or twice a year. I
don't understand that viewpoint.

Harry K

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Mar 29, 7:33 am, "James" wrote:

Doesn't the sliding type miter saw allow for wider cuts ?

James

Yes, a lot wider. Mine will miter 45" on a 2x6. I think it goes
wider than that but it does go at _least_ that far.

Harry K

Jesus! 45"! That is more than my Radial Arm saw will do! My
12" sliding compound will only cut about 14" at most. What size
is yours?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 10:33*am, "James" wrote:
Doesn't *the sliding type miter saw allow for wider cuts ?

James

A sliding miter will allow for wider cuts than a non-slider,
everything else being equal. That said, the ad says the capacity is 5
3/8", so if that's true, it just means that without the slide, it
would be even less.

I'd call and find out if that stat is accurate 'cuz my 10" non-slide
Delta, with the adjustable fence, will do 5 1/8", so an extra 1/4" for
a slider sound minimal.

However, as I pointed out in another post, you can easily gain a
little more depth of cut by simply lifting the front edge of the board
slightly so that the spinning blade completes the cut.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 29, 10:28*am, Harry K wrote:

snip

*There are people who insist on pro
quality tools even if they only use them once or twice a year. *I
don't understand that viewpoint.

Same viewpoint as people who show up at Home Depot in a $35K SUV,
maybe? G

Joe
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 10:46*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"James" wrote in message

I would use it to cut perhaps ten boards a year. *I am not a carpenter, or
much of a handyman.

In that case, it will probably fit your needs. I wouldn't consider it but my
needs are different than yours.

Note that the cutting capacity if 5 3/8" and that a 1 x 6 is 5 1/2". That
can be a PITA. * A regular 12" miter saw will cut about 8" but will cost
considerably more.

If you lift the front edge of the board slightly, you can easily
complete the cut on a 2 x 6 on a saw that only claims a DOC of 5 3/8".
Make your cut with the board flat, then just tilt the board up enough
so that a few more teeth on the front of the blade complete the cut.

I do it all the time with my Delta 10" non-slider.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If you lift the front edge of the board slightly, you can easily
complete the cut on a 2 x 6 on a saw that only claims a DOC of 5 3/8".
Make your cut with the board flat, then just tilt the board up enough
so that a few more teeth on the front of the blade complete the cut.

I do it all the time with my Delta 10" non-slider.

******************************

I can see nasty repercussions if not done properly though.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
Harry K wrote:
On Mar 29, 7:33 am, "James" wrote:

Doesn't the sliding type miter saw allow for wider cuts ?

James

Yes, a lot wider. Mine will miter 45" on a 2x6. I think it goes
wider than that but it does go at _least_ that far.

Harry K

Jesus! 45"! That is more than my Radial Arm saw will do! My 12" sliding
compound will only cut about 14" at most. What size is yours?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Any reason having both radial arm and the slider? I have both but didn't use
the RAS the last few years.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

On Mar 29, 7:33 am, "James" wrote:

Doesn't the sliding type miter saw allow for wider cuts ?

James

Yes, a lot wider. Mine will miter 45" on a 2x6. I think it goes
wider than that but it does go at _least_ that far.

Harry K

Jesus! 45"! That is more than my Radial Arm saw will do! My 12" sliding
compound will only cut about 14" at most. What size is yours?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Any reason having both radial arm and the slider? I have both but didn't use
the RAS the last few years.

The RAS is for framing and can rip if needed. It is permanently
setup at my shop and I use it mostly for framing and rough
cutting. The SCMS is for trim and more fine cutting as it is
much more accurate and is portable. I also have a 10" CMS and an
8" CMS and a 10" MS. A tool for everything. If you want to
throw in the old manual mitersaw, I have a total of five.

But then, that's what happens when you are a contractor.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 8:34*am, Robert Allison wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On Mar 29, 7:33 am, "James" wrote:

Doesn't *the sliding type miter saw allow for wider cuts ?

James

Yes, a lot wider. *Mine will miter 45" on a 2x6. *I think it goes
wider than that but it does go at _least_ that far.

Harry K

Jesus! *45"! *That is more than my Radial Arm saw will do! *My
12" sliding compound will only cut about 14" at most. *What size
is yours?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

I was wondering if my memory was _that_ bad so went out and measured.
It is stuck back in a dark corner so the measurement is not all that
accurate.

10" at 45 degrees a bit more at 90. Remember we are talking "sliding"
miter saws.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Mar 29, 7:33 am, "James" wrote:

Doesn't *the sliding type miter saw allow for wider cuts ?

James

Yes, a lot wider. *Mine will miter 45" on a 2x6. *I think it goes
wider than that but it does go at _least_ that far.

Harry K

Jesus! *45"! *That is more than my Radial Arm saw will do! *My
12" sliding compound will only cut about 14" at most. *What size
is yours?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Aha! Now I see that I said " when it should have been degrees. As an
aside, if I were buying a miter saw, I wouldn't look at any that
aren't at least a 'sliding' one and it should also be 'compound'.
Mine is. Quite a tool for the cheap price.

Harry K
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

On Mar 29, 7:33 am, "James" wrote:

Doesn't the sliding type miter saw allow for wider cuts ?

James

Yes, a lot wider. Mine will miter 45" on a 2x6. I think it goes
wider than that but it does go at _least_ that far.

Harry K

Jesus! 45"! That is more than my Radial Arm saw will do! My 12" sliding
compound will only cut about 14" at most. What size is yours?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Any reason having both radial arm and the slider? I have both but didn't use
the RAS the last few years.

The RAS is a more versatile tool than the Miter saw. It can cross cut,
rip, groove, and even rout. When I lived in an apartment complex 25
years ago, I built an entire 12' wall unit consisting of shelves,
cabinets, and a fake fireplace in the Williamsburg style, using only a
RAS in my superintendant's basement, and that included routing grooves
in the pilasters. It was built in 4 sections and made to be taken apart
by unscrewing a handful of screws for transportation.
When I bought my house back in 1984, I brought that wall unit to my
house and installed it in my dining room.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 2:51*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If you lift the front edge of the board slightly, you can easily
complete the cut on a 2 x 6 on a saw that only claims a DOC of 5 3/8".
Make your cut with the board flat, then just tilt the board up enough
so that a few more teeth on the front of the blade complete the cut.

I do it all the time with my Delta 10" non-slider.

******************************

I can see nasty repercussions if not done properly though.

That statement applies to the use of *so* many power tools as well as
*so* many other situations in our daily lives.

BTW...after I posted my method, I was watching one of the multitudes
of "home" shows on TV and so one the supposed experts apply the same
technique.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

The RAS is a more versatile tool than the Miter saw. It can cross
cut, rip, groove, and even rout.

With the proper blade a RAS can be used to cut steel plates. By
lowering the depth a little at a time and making numerous of passes,
I've cut 1/2" steel plates with great accuracy and perfectly smooth
edges.

I've used my miter saw to cut 3/4" steel rod. I even turned off the
lights and took a picture of my son cutting some rod. Really cool
picture with the sparks lighting up the shop!
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Mar 29, 2:51 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If you lift the front edge of the board slightly, you can easily
complete the cut on a 2 x 6 on a saw that only claims a DOC of 5 3/8".
Make your cut with the board flat, then just tilt the board up enough
so that a few more teeth on the front of the blade complete the cut.

I do it all the time with my Delta 10" non-slider.

******************************

I can see nasty repercussions if not done properly though.

That statement applies to the use of *so* many power tools as well as
*so* many other situations in our daily lives.

BTW...after I posted my method, I was watching one of the multitudes
of "home" shows on TV and so one the supposed experts apply the same
technique.

*****************************

That may be true, but I'm still not going to advise someone that may have
never used a power saw to turn the board while the blade is spinning at high
rpm.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 2:57*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
[...]

turn the board

Are you sure we're talking about the same thing? Are you equating my
use of the word "lift" with "turn"?

I would never tell someone to *turn* a board while cutting it, unless
it was a scroll or band saw...

...or if they were cutting a circle on a table saw.

I just did that for my daughter last weekend. Cut her a perfectly
round 17" circle out of 3/4 MDF. I love that technique.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On 2008-03-30, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Are you sure we're talking about the same thing? Are you equating my
use of the word "lift" with "turn"?

Lifting the front edge of the board while the rear edge stays against
the fence amounts to turning it about its long axis. I think it is
safe enough to do after the saw arm has bottomed out as long as you
hold the saw arm still.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On 2008-03-30, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Are you sure we're talking about the same thing? Are you equating my
use of the word "lift" with "turn"?

Lifting the front edge of the board while the rear edge stays against
the fence amounts to turning it about its long axis. *I think it is
safe enough to do after the saw arm has bottomed out as long as you
hold the saw arm still.

Cheers, Wayne

I think it is safe enough to do after the saw arm has bottomed out
as long as you hold the saw arm still.

Which is exactly procedure that is used.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James" wrote:

Well, these are both good replies, from Darby and cm.

I would use it to cut perhaps ten boards a year. I am not a carpenter, or
much of a handyman. I have a circular saw that I use a few times a year,
but I just find that I am not "handy" at using it to cut a perfectly
straight line !! I am making some shelfs soon, and very simple items like
that.

Get a Speed Squa

http://www.swansontoolco.com/product...d_squares.html

-- Doug
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 6:30*pm, "James" wrote:
Anyone here ever used this sliding miter saw from harbour freight ?

Any good ?

Thanks

James

Yes. it works pretty well.

http://www.planorealestateadvisor.com
http://www.planorealty.blogspot.com

Harbor Freight DMM Jim Yanik Home Repair 5 June 5th 06 03:09 PM
Harbor Freight tmurf.1 Home Repair 30 May 26th 06 07:31 PM
Harbor Freight does it again... Pete C. Metalworking 58 January 11th 06 04:36 AM
Harbor Freight DC Jimmy Woodworking 12 November 18th 05 05:11 PM
More on Harbor Freight DC mac davis Woodworking 11 November 22nd 04 08:20 PM