Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Miter Saw from harbor freight ?

On Mar 30, 12:20*pm, willshak wrote:
on 3/29/2008 6:49 PM *Frank said the following:

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

Harry K wrote:

On Mar 29, 7:33 am, "James" wrote:

Doesn't *the sliding type miter saw allow for wider cuts ?

James

Yes, a lot wider. *Mine will miter 45" on a 2x6. *I think it goes
wider than that but it does go at _least_ that far.

Harry K

Jesus! *45"! *That is more than my Radial Arm saw will do! *My 12" sliding
compound will only cut about 14" at most. *What size is yours?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Any reason having both radial arm and the slider? I have both but didn't use
the RAS the last few years.

The RAS is a more versatile tool than the Miter saw. It can cross cut,
rip, groove, and even rout. When I lived in an apartment complex 25
years ago, I built an entire 12' wall unit consisting of shelves,
cabinets, and a fake fireplace in the Williamsburg style, using only a
RAS in my superintendant's basement, and that included routing grooves
in the pilasters. It was built in 4 sections and made to be taken apart
by unscrewing a handful of screws for transportation.
When I bought my house back in 1984, I brought that wall unit to my
house and installed it in my dining room.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The RAS is a more versatile tool than the Miter saw. It can cross
cut, rip, groove, and even rout.

With the proper blade a RAS can be used to cut steel plates. By
lowering the depth a little at a time and making numerous of passes,
I've cut 1/2" steel plates with great accuracy and perfectly smooth
edges.

I've used my miter saw to cut 3/4" steel rod. I even turned off the
lights and took a picture of my son cutting some rod. Really cool
picture with the sparks lighting up the shop!