Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof Leaking in Vinyl All Season Room

Hello group,

I am trying to resolve a particularly stressful situation and would
appreciate any thoughts. Last fall we had a vinyl all season room
built on the back of our cedar sided house, underneath a second story
deck. Some might call it a patio room or sun room, etc. Since it was
finished the roof has leaked during heavy rains. Apparently the
builder assumed that the house was water tight when he built it.
Consequently, the roof header of the all season room, or where the
roof system joins the existing cedar siding on the house, was not
flashed. It was simply screwed to the outside of the cedar siding,
and caulked along the top seam. Somewhere above the roof of the patio
room water is getting behind the cedar siding and coming out inside
the all season room in three locations. This was probably happening
before the all season room was built but not noticed. The builder has
been out twice to caulk seams in the roof, but now the builder is
starting to take the position that it's my problem to deal with, and
that they are done with the situation. Was I wrong to expect that
when I signed the construction contract that I would be given a water
tight room? Was I wrong to expect that the builder would take care to
analyze the situation, anticipate possible problems, and take
appropriate measures? When I asked the salesman on two or three
separate locations, what happens if the room were to leak, I was told
they would take care of it until it was fixed. I did NOT ask
specifically how the room would be flashed, waterproofed, etc. My
thoughts are this: Not flashing the roof header was a bad idea.
Also, I realize that the problem is likely originating somewhere
outside of the scope of the builder's immediate control. But
shouldn't he be involved in the effort here to make this room water
tight? I would love to hear any opinions on this matter.
Thanks for your time,
Jason
Posted to alt.home.repair

You said this:
"Somewhere above the roof of the patio
room water is getting behind the cedar siding and coming out inside
the all season room in three locations. This was probably happening
before the all season room was built but not noticed."

Translation: You want to hold the builder responsible for a problem which
existed before he touched the job. And, even if it began AFTER the sun room
was installed, how is it the builder's problem? It's originating elsewhere.

If I were you, I'd find a mechanical engineer and pay him/her to look over
the situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
This was probably happening
before the all season room was built but not noticed. The builder has
been out twice to caulk seams in the roof, but now the builder is
starting to take the position that it's my problem to deal with, and
that they are done with the situation. Was I wrong to expect that
when I signed the construction contract that I would be given a water
tight room?

If the problem happened before the room was built, it is your problem, not
his. If he is part of the problem, different story.

If the lack of flashing is the problem, he probably should have taken steps
during construction to properly flash it. From your description and
statement that it may have been happening before I'm a bit unclear. Have
you talked to someone else, maybe a roofer if that is where the water is
originating?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
No flashing? Isn't it code violation? Did you take out building permit?
Caulking is temporary patch work I'd say even if it stops leak.
I have a 4 season sun room one in the front above the garage, one in the
back extended from family room. No leaks. My house is 2 story as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 9:02*pm, wrote:
[...]

Start with the city inspector that signed off on the job, and approved
it as to code. Your leak description was not really clear to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You said this:
"Somewhere above the roof of the patio
room water is getting behind the cedar siding and coming out inside
the all season room in three locations. *This was probably happening
before the all season room was built but not noticed."

Translation: You want to hold the builder responsible for a problem which
existed before he touched the job. And, even if it began AFTER the sun room
was installed, how is it the builder's problem? It's originating elsewhere..

If I were you, I'd find a mechanical engineer and pay him/her to look over
the situation.- Hide quoted text -

Actually I would not consider the builder responsible for the leak,
because as you said it existed (probably) before he started his work.
If the culprit were an improperly installed door frame above the all
season room roof, I would surely not expect the builder to buy me a
new door and install it properly. My disappointment is that it
appears he did nothing to stop water from entering the room other than
apply a bead of caulk to his roof ledger. Not being a construction
guy and knowing what typical construction methods are, that just
doesn't seem lke enough effort to assure the room would be water
tight.
Jason
Posted to alt.home.repair

You said this:
[...]

======================

Somebody else mentioned getting your town's inspector to look over the
situation. That's the first call you should make on Monday morning.

It's possible the builder did you a big favor by alerting you to a much
bigger preexisting problem. But, if you're getting water behind the shingles
(possible explanation), I'm at a loss to understand how you could've missed
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You said this:
[...]

it.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all the input so far. It seems I should definitely look
into the code/permit/inspection situation. The builder was
responsible for securing proper permits, and I know there was at
minimum an inspection for the foundation. Beyond that I can't say if
there were any other inspections, or if any other inspections are even
required by the local authorities. I'll certainly find out.

Let me pose this question. If you were adding a room on to your
house, how would you treat the area where the roof of the addition
connected to the existing house? I suppose it would vary depending on
the facade of the existing structure. In my case it's cedar siding.
I'm just trying to get a feel for what typical construction methods
would be in this case.

Jason
Posted to alt.home.repair

You said this:
[...]

===============================

I have no idea. I'd do some research BEFORE hiring the contractor, so I'd
know what to ask.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You said this:
[...]

know what to ask.- Hide quoted text -

Too bad I'm not as smart as you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You said this:
[...]

================

I'm just telling you the truth! I have no idea how I'd expect that job to be
done with cedar shingles. Sorry it's not the answer you wished for. With
siding, it would be obvious: Pop off the siding, install flashing, reinstall
siding.

For any kind of work on your home, you have to think about what could go
wrong, and then shop for contractors based on how they propose to avoid the
problems you're concerned with. You must be a young/new homeowner if you
didn't think of these things beforehand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 10:02*pm, wrote:
[...]

RoofTech
MHIC# 96582
Choose RoofTech for your Realtor roofing needs. We guarantee rapid
response time, dependable quality service and customer satisfaction.

try therooftech.com

Blinds Can Enhance Your Home's Look Season by Season Hayak Home Repair 1 April 16th 07 11:34 AM
Installing vinyl flooring in a long, narrow room Larry Bud Home Repair 10 February 24th 07 02:02 AM
Leaking roof Jim Scott UK diy 1 July 7th 05 04:57 AM
Laying vinyl in shower room PhilÅ UK diy 0 November 21st 04 11:58 PM
Leaking roof Adam UK diy 6 May 26th 04 11:09 AM