Adam

Default Leaking roof

For a while now, we've had a damp patch on one of our ceilings. Today, I
finally got up into the attic, and found that some of the felt under the
titles has come down. Not a huge bit, probably about 300mm square.

I really don't want to have to re-felt the whole roof (and we can't afford
that at the moment anyway), so I'm looking for ideas on the best way to fix
this from the inside. My "bumper book on DIY" doesn't really say much about
roof felt!

Thanks,
A.

Chris

On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:02:24 +0100, "Adam" wrote:

For a while now, we've had a damp patch on one of our ceilings. Today, I
finally got up into the attic, and found that some of the felt under the
titles has come down. Not a huge bit, probably about 300mm square.

I really don't want to have to re-felt the whole roof (and we can't afford
that at the moment anyway), so I'm looking for ideas on the best way to fix
this from the inside. My "bumper book on DIY" doesn't really say much about
roof felt!

Roof shouldn't really need felt to be dry, my parents house and
several friends have dry non felted roofs, what is it tile/slate ?

Adam

Roof shouldn't really need felt to be dry, my parents house and
several friends have dry non felted roofs, what is it tile/slate ?

Tile. Maybe it's possible that one of the tiles has also slipped then,
although I can't see anything wrong from the outside. I'll have to take a
bit more of a look. It does only tend to leak at certain times, presumably
when the wind is blowing in the "wrong" direction.

Thanks,
A.

Christian McArdle

I really don't want to have to re-felt the whole roof (and we can't afford
that at the moment anyway), so I'm looking for ideas on the best way to

fix
this from the inside.

Fix the roof, not the felt. The felt is the backup system. My roof doesn't
even have any.

Christian.

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:13:40 +0100, Adam wrote:

Maybe it's possible that one of the tiles has also slipped then,
although I can't see anything wrong from the outside.

As other have said the felt is only secondary but when it gets a hole
all the tiny leaks above that point come through in that one place...

It does only tend to leak at certain times, presumably when the wind
is blowing in the "wrong" direction.

A good condition slate or tile roof won't let in much but it will
particularly if there is a bit of wind behind the rain. Of course roof
without sarking has very high ventilation levels so will dry PDQ as
well...

As to fixing your hole. You need something water proof and moderately
tough and stiff. Heavy gauge poly sheet, opened out old feed bags are
quite good, provided they haven't any holes.

Idealy you need to tuck the poly under the batten below the hole and
bring it through the hole and attach it to the rafters 18" or so
above. Any water coming of the top bit of sarking onto the poly gets
channeled well down onto the lower sarking.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Michael Mcneil

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net

Fix the roof, not the felt. The felt is the backup system. My roof doesn't
even have any.

Most roofs go at the ridge or near a cause of wind eddies. This is
usually some obstruction and the tiles will be near the top course, so
replacing them is generally easy to do. If the slate has slipped from
the middle or lower down you need to get the nails it fell from out of
the way and that can be a pig for inexperienced people to sort.

If you can get one of those cut anything saws you might try that,
otherwise you need a slate rip. (A notched thin bar to fish for and haul
out the offenders with.) Then you need to find a way to fix the new
slate. Tiles are somewhat different as you can sometimes lift a lot of
courses from a lower one in a "domino effect" style.

Jerry Built

dam wrote:
Today, I finally got up into the attic, and found that some of
the felt under the titles has come down. Not a huge bit,
probably about 300mm square. I really don't want to have to re-
felt the whole roof (and we can't afford that at the moment
anyway), so I'm looking for ideas on the best way to fix this
from the inside.

Get a roll of felt and some ruberoid compound from your local
BM. Get some tiling batten or similar for props. Cut a piece
of felt full roll width that will fit in between the rafters.
Tidy up the hole edges. Apply a generous layer of jointing
compound, and tuck the bottom edge of your strip of felt over
the top edge of the undamaged run of felt below the damaged
piece. Prop the whole lot up with battens until set. Done.

J.B.

FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Leaking roof over carport Mark Lewis UK diy 1 November 12th 03 04:41 PM
Garden Shed Roof Leaking News UK diy 3 November 6th 03 09:05 PM