Jim Scott

Default Leaking roof

I have a small hole somewhere at the base of my attic window. (Three storey
Victorian terrace)
Now the rain has found it, it is dripping on to the ceiling below.
The trouble is that that section of the roof is enclosed between a lathe
and plaster wall and the eaves, where I cannot get in to see it.
Is there the equivalent of a product used for car windows called "Seek and
Seal". This follows the route of the water and seals the hole.
Otherwise have you any ideas?
Obviously I'm not keen to get on the roof and am pretty certin that the
hole is within reach of the attic window (if only I could find it)

--
Jim
Tyneside UK
BigWallop

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
I have a small hole somewhere at the base of my attic window. (Three

storey
Victorian terrace)
Now the rain has found it, it is dripping on to the ceiling below.
The trouble is that that section of the roof is enclosed between a lathe
and plaster wall and the eaves, where I cannot get in to see it.
Is there the equivalent of a product used for car windows called "Seek and
Seal". This follows the route of the water and seals the hole.
Otherwise have you any ideas?
Obviously I'm not keen to get on the roof and am pretty certin that the
hole is within reach of the attic window (if only I could find it)

Jim

Oh Oh. Leaks can often be quite a bit away from where they are appearing to
come from, and it's just that they run down to the lowest point that allows
them to drip. The attic window might be fixed to the beams on either side
of it, and the actual leak could be at the top of the roof. The water runs
down the inside of the beam until it reaches a screw nail holding the window
in place. The screw nail forms a small barrier that doesn't allow all the
water to pass. This creates a dam that fills up till the water begins to
drip off the screw nail.

So the leak might be well away from the actual point from which it appears
at the bottom of the attic window and you really need to gain access all
round the area to find out for sure. I do hope for your sake that the part
you expose is actually the point of the main leak, or you'll have to keep
going with the ripping things out until you do find it.

I've never heard of any product that can be applied to a roof that finds
leaks on its own, due mainly I expect to the fact that product would have to
be applied to the whole of the outside of the roof so that it had more
chance of actually finding where the leak was. I think that would be a
very, very expensive product indeed, don't you?

Good luck with it.

Leaking roof Adam UK diy 6 May 26th 04 11:09 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Leaking roof over carport Mark Lewis UK diy 1 November 12th 03 04:41 PM
Garden Shed Roof Leaking News UK diy 3 November 6th 03 09:05 PM