Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical question

I have florescent light in my bathroom that I would like to replace
with a incandescent fixture. The transformer is attached with 2 wires
( red and blue ) which is going to a toggle switch that turns on the
light. I am confused with the blue wire...I've seen black, white...but
never blue. Why the blue? Does it replace the neutral White? BTW,
there is also a outlet plug next to the toggle switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noel" wrote in message
I have florescent light in my bathroom that I would like to replace
with a incandescent fixture. The transformer is attached with 2 wires
( red and blue ) which is going to a toggle switch that turns on the
light. I am confused with the blue wire...I've seen black, white...but
never blue. Why the blue? Does it replace the neutral White? BTW,
there is also a outlet plug next to the toggle switch.

There is definitely more wires attached to the ballast than the red and
blue. If you remove the fixture completely, I think you'll find the black
and white wires feeding it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 6:11*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Noel" wrote in message

I have florescent light in my bathroom that I would like to replace
with a incandescent fixture. The transformer is attached with 2 wires
( red and blue ) which is going to a toggle switch that turns on the
light. I am confused with the blue wire...I've seen black, white...but
never blue. Why the blue? Does it replace the neutral White? BTW,
there is also a outlet plug next to the toggle switch.

There is definitely more wires attached to the ballast than the red and
blue. If you remove the fixture completely, I think you'll find the black
and white wires feeding it.

Noel's suggestion makes sense. No (inside a flourescent ficture) it
probably does not.

While some European and other fixtures use Blue and Brown wires to
connect fixtures instead of White and Black, that is not likley, IMO,
to be the explanation in your case.

Also btw the bathroom outlet should probably be a GFI type, for safety
and insurance purposes. GFI are supposed to be used in areas such as
bathrooms and/or outside where garden appliances may be plugged in.

Would stronlgly recommend you get someone who is more familar with
wiring/electricity to help out!

Also make sure any necessary grounding wires are in place. You don't
want to get a shock between a metal light fixture and say the sink!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noel" wrote in message
I have florescent light in my bathroom that I would like to replace
with a incandescent fixture. The transformer is attached with 2 wires
( red and blue ) which is going to a toggle switch that turns on the
light. I am confused with the blue wire...I've seen black, white...but
never blue. Why the blue? Does it replace the neutral White? BTW,
there is also a outlet plug next to the toggle switch.

What feeds the juice to the toggle switch?

Black I bet. I think you will need to remove this before you know what you
have.

If this whole mess is not switched on the wall somewhere you may not be able
to install a regular light.
--
Colbyt

electrical question albee Home Repair 31 August 24th 07 02:51 AM
Electrical Question fish Home Repair 3 January 30th 06 02:56 AM
Electrical Question??? fish Home Repair 5 January 23rd 06 03:12 AM
Electrical Question [email protected] Home Repair 5 December 5th 05 02:39 AM
electrical question Tony Metalworking 8 April 23rd 05 05:18 PM