Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil paint no longer available

Hi,

I wanted to paint some of the spots on the outside of my house that
was pealing a bit. The paint that was used was Benjamin Moore's 110,
Alkyd, Oil based, Outside White paint. The local supply store said
that they can no longer sell this paint because of polution and VOD
regulations. I am in New York State. What is the correct replacement
paint that I should use?

Tasking:

Residential
Exterior
Plastic and Wood Trim

Many thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 7:18 am, hobbes wrote:
Hi,

I wanted to paint some of the spots on the outside of my house that
was pealing a bit. The paint that was used was Benjamin Moore's 110,
Alkyd, Oil based, Outside White paint. The local supply store said
that they can no longer sell this paint because of polution and VOD
regulations. I am in New York State. What is the correct replacement
paint that I should use?

Tasking:

Residential
Exterior
Plastic and Wood Trim

Many thanks

You may still be able to buy non-compliant VOC paint in quarts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

hobbes wrote:
Hi,

I wanted to paint some of the spots on the outside of my house that
was pealing a bit. The paint that was used was Benjamin Moore's 110,
Alkyd, Oil based, Outside White paint. The local supply store said
that they can no longer sell this paint because of polution and VOD
regulations. I am in New York State. What is the correct replacement
paint that I should use?

Don't settle for second-best. The paint you want is available from hundreds
of dealers on-line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wanted to paint some of the spots on the outside of my house that
was pealing a bit. The paint that was used was Benjamin Moore's 110,
Alkyd, Oil based, Outside White paint. The local supply store said
that they can no longer sell this paint because of polution and VOD
regulations. I am in New York State. What is the correct replacement
paint that I should use?

I was told my B Moore here in Virginia the same thing. I wanted to buy a
gallon of their polyurethane to refinish my HW floors. They told me they
could only sell it in quarts due to VOC rules.

Yet 1 mile down the road, Home Depot sells Minwax poly by the gallon. I
think they even have a brand of poly in 5 gallon cans in their tool rental
department.

Not sure I get it. Maybe Minwax is VOC compliant?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I was told my B Moore here in Virginia the same thing. I wanted to buy a
gallon of their polyurethane to refinish my HW floors. They told me they
could only sell it in quarts due to VOC rules.

Yet 1 mile down the road, Home Depot sells Minwax poly by the gallon. I
think they even have a brand of poly in 5 gallon cans in their tool rental
department.

Not sure I get it. Maybe Minwax is VOC compliant?

Seems to be a lot of confusion and the regulations are wacky too from what
I've been told.

Certain stores have an exemption for some period of time, some regions have
exemptions for some period or time. Some manufacturers have already decided
to phase out the oil base while others will continue for a while. Old stock
can continue to be sold.

Of course, that does not directly answer your question either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Of course, that does not directly answer your question either.

It's the best explanation I've had so far! Thanks as always EP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
hobbes wrote:
Hi,

I wanted to paint some of the spots on the outside of my house that
was pealing a bit. The paint that was used was Benjamin Moore's 110,
Alkyd, Oil based, Outside White paint. The local supply store said
that they can no longer sell this paint because of polution and VOD
regulations. I am in New York State. What is the correct replacement
paint that I should use?

Don't settle for second-best. The paint you want is available from hundreds
of dealers on-line.

That is probably true, but if you do purchase and use it,
technically you are breaking the law. It is not just the sale of
the product, but that use that is illegal.

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers, inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

From what I read, at least in some places it's only the 1 gallon
containers that are banned. 5 gallon and quart containers are still
available.

And everything oil based is harder to get these days since almost
everyone is using latex for everything (even stuff they really should
be using oil based paint for). I have not previously heard of anyone
having provlems getting oil based polyeurethane though. I live in one
of the offending states and have no problem finding gallons of oil
based polyeurethane.