Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer is no longer spinning

ABout 1 week ago, the dryer was not drying clothes as well as before
so the plastic ducting in the rear was replaced with an aluminum
(bendable) 4 inch duct. 1 week later, the dryer turns on and heat is
generated but the tumbler is no longer tumbling. Before calling a
repair company, is there something to try (without actually opening it
up)? Any tips would be great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

happend to mention that:
ABout 1 week ago, the dryer was not drying clothes as well as before
so the plastic ducting in the rear was replaced with an aluminum
(bendable) 4 inch duct. 1 week later, the dryer turns on and heat is
generated but the tumbler is no longer tumbling. Before calling a
repair company, is there something to try (without actually opening it
up)? Any tips would be great.

First thing to check on is the belt that turns the drum. An easy check is
WITH THE DRYER OFF AND UNPLUGGED try spinning the drum with your hand. If
it spins real easy, as if with no real resistance, good chance the belt is
either worn, broken, or off the pulley on the motor.

For more info, and to order a belt look he

www.repairclinic.com

and no I don't work for them! Great place though.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default o just reposition the belt or replace it.

All very good tips. Thanks everyone. I think this one is beyond me and
have called in the expert. So there is another lint trap inside the
machine besides the one that requires cleaning after each load? Or did
I misunderstand?

There is no door on the front lower panel and nor can I pop the top
portion off to take a look at the belt. Hope the repair man does not
have to get access from the rear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Update: Managed to get the top of the dryer to pop up. There were 2
clips that needed a screwdriver to unlock the clips. The thin belt
that should be wrapped around the drum has snapped. Called the
repaiman anyway but thanks for all the tips. Made me do some more
reading and curiosity made me try to open the thing. Whatdaya know!?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Update: Managed to get the top of the dryer to pop up. There were 2
clips that needed a screwdriver to unlock the clips. The thin belt
that should be wrapped around the drum has snapped. Called the
repaiman anyway but thanks for all the tips. Made me do some more
reading and curiosity made me try to open the thing. Whatdaya know!?

Your over half way there - now that the top is off look down at the bottom
of the front of the dryer. Typically there are a couple of screws that
remove the front, or sometimes they are under the lid on the front panel.
Once the front is of changing the belt is a snap!

If you can't unplug the thing be sure the breaker is off, and test it to
make sure it is getting no power though before you start ripping into it!