Old February 20th 08, 11:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior paint on interior?

I want to paint the interior walls of my garage.

The garage is under the house, has concrete block about half way up, and
the rest is drywalled. Originally, the builder rolled/sprayed on a thin
coat of mix, and dragged a roller through it.

I had painted interior paint on the walls. Now, since washing the vehicles
inside after many years, the mud is peeling in places from the drywall. The
garage is not heated, but stays warmer than the outside air temperature.

Can I use exterior paint on the drywall? Do I have to use a primer on bare
drywall where the mud has come off? Should I primer all areas, even the
area where the mud/texture has not come off?

One last point. Can I use exterior paint on the concrete block? Should I
prime the block, which has never been painted?

Many thanks.

Old February 20th 08, 11:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Nubs wrote:

I want to paint the interior walls of my garage.

The garage is under the house, has concrete block about half way up, and
the rest is drywalled. Originally, the builder rolled/sprayed on a thin
coat of mix, and dragged a roller through it.

I had painted interior paint on the walls. Now, since washing the vehicles
inside after many years, the mud is peeling in places from the drywall. The
garage is not heated, but stays warmer than the outside air temperature.

Can I use exterior paint on the drywall? Do I have to use a primer on bare
drywall where the mud has come off? Should I primer all areas, even the
area where the mud/texture has not come off?

One last point. Can I use exterior paint on the concrete block? Should I
prime the block, which has never been painted?

Many thanks.

And when you went to two separate real paint stores, Sherwin Willians
and Benj. Moore,
what did the professionals there tell you?
Old February 20th 08, 11:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message

And when you went to two separate real paint stores, Sherwin Willians
and Benj. Moore,
what did the professionals there tell you?

Being I can't get to a store until the weekend, I figured I'd see who has
any real first hand knowledge.

Thanks for sharing yours.

Old February 21st 08, 12:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 5:42*pm, "Nubs" wrote:
I want to paint the interior walls of my garage.

The garage is under the house, has concrete block about half way up, and
the rest is drywalled. Originally, the builder rolled/sprayed on a thin
coat of mix, and dragged a roller through it.

I had painted interior paint on the walls. Now, since washing the vehicles
inside after many years, the mud is peeling in places from the drywall. The
garage is not heated, but stays warmer than the outside air temperature.

Can I use exterior paint on the drywall? Do I have to use a primer on bare
drywall where the mud has come off? Should I primer all areas, even the
area where the mud/texture has not come off?

One last point. Can I use exterior paint on the concrete block? Should I
prime the block, which has never been painted?

Many thanks.

Just use the exterior paint one coat or 2 to cover, but mud pealing
sounds like moisture is afecting it
Old February 21st 08, 12:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

i have used exterior on interior for mold control, then added extra
anti mold material.

i couldnt tell the difference between interior and exterior and some
paint is marked for both

Old February 21st 08, 12:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Nubs wrote:
"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message

And when you went to two separate real paint stores, Sherwin Willians
and Benj. Moore,
what did the professionals there tell you?

Being I can't get to a store until the weekend, I figured I'd see who has
any real first hand knowledge.

Thanks for sharing yours.

No need to be snide.

I could just do what too many folks on here do, make it up to stroke
your ego.

Try a telephone call to a paint store if you can't get to a real paint
store.
And try a real paint store, not a strip mall outlet catering to home
owner harry types.

And lose the attitude.

Old February 21st 08, 01:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

And lose the attitude.

What 'attitude'? Who the f(*&k are you supposed to be?
Old February 21st 08, 01:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Feb 20, 10:05*pm, Robert Barr wrote:
And lose the attitude.

What 'attitude'? *Who the f(*&k are you supposed to be?

Exterior paint is not durable for inside use. It may chalk excessively
and/or the paint would not stick to the surface if it needs to be
repainted. Exterior paint also contains mildewsides/fungicides that
may smell when there is high humidity. It can even pose a health
hazard due to the greater concentration of these mildewsides that are
not normally used inside. Exterior paint used indoors may also worsen
allergies.

Old February 21st 08, 02:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 7:30*pm, jim wrote:
On Feb 20, 10:05*pm, Robert Barr wrote:

And lose the attitude.

What 'attitude'? *Who the f(*&k are you supposed to be?

Exterior paint is not durable for inside use. It may chalk excessively
and/or the paint would not stick to the surface if it needs to be
repainted. Exterior paint also contains mildewsides/fungicides that
may smell when there is high humidity. It can even pose a health
hazard due to the greater concentration of these mildewsides that are
not normally used inside. Exterior paint used indoors may also worsen
allergies.

Its for a garage wall, exterior is plenty durable and the statement
about not sticking is bs if the walls are now flat. Your concerns are
not based on experiance.
Old February 21st 08, 04:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 6:42*pm, "Nubs" wrote:
I want to paint the interior walls of my garage.

The garage is under the house, has concrete block about half way up, and
the rest is drywalled. Originally, the builder rolled/sprayed on a thin
coat of mix, and dragged a roller through it.

I had painted interior paint on the walls. Now, since washing the vehicles
inside after many years, the mud is peeling in places from the drywall. The
garage is not heated, but stays warmer than the outside air temperature.

Can I use exterior paint on the drywall? Do I have to use a primer on bare
drywall where the mud has come off? Should I primer all areas, even the
area where the mud/texture has not come off?

One last point. Can I use exterior paint on the concrete block? Should I
prime the block, which has never been painted?

Many thanks.

Since a garage might be in a somewhat grey area between being
"interior" and "exterior", may I suggest that you Google something
like "using exterior paint inside" and read all the various reasons
that a multitude of sources say it shouldn''t be done.

For each reason not to do it, see if that reason fits your
circumstance and decide for yourself. It appears to me that you could
make an argument either way when dealing with an unheated garage.