Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Conduit recommendations exterior to interior

Hi, does anyone have suggestions for good a good conduit product to
take a 10mm2 cable from inside a building to outside and down into the
ground? Just that I tried standard black conduit pipe before for 6mm2
and it was murder getting it through all the bends.

I'm considering the circle boxes as joiners rather than using bends as
they look easier, but am not sure if a) they are good for exterior use
and b) how I get the cable into the building (requires 90deg bend
straight in through the wall from the ground) . Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Richard wrote:
Hi, does anyone have suggestions for good a good conduit product to
take a 10mm2 cable from inside a building to outside and down into the
ground? Just that I tried standard black conduit pipe before for 6mm2
and it was murder getting it through all the bends.

Do you mean 6mm TW&E? If so I'm not surprised. The correct stuff for
conduit is single cables.

I'm considering the circle boxes as joiners rather than using bends as
they look easier, but am not sure if a) they are good for exterior use
and b) how I get the cable into the building (requires 90deg bend
straight in through the wall from the ground) . Thanks.

Can't you use SWA? Much less hassle than conduit and cheaper too - as well
as a better job.

--
*What are the pink bits in my tyres? Cyclists & Joggers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the response...

Do you mean 6mm TW&E? If so I'm not surprised. The correct stuff for
conduit is single cables.

Yes it was TW&E! So what should you use for TW&E - I didnt want to use
armoured cable to keep costs down and I needed to route a lot of the
cable through the house first. Since I needed an uninterrupted cable
from consumer unit to outhouse , thought TW&E with conduit would have
been the best option..

Can't you use SWA? Much less hassle than conduit and cheaper too - as well
as a better job.

What is SWA? Armoured cable? For 6mm2 TW&E I thought it was a lot more
pricey

--
*What are the pink bits in my tyres? Cyclists & Joggers*

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Richard wrote:
Thanks for the response...

Do you mean 6mm TW&E? If so I'm not surprised. The correct stuff for
conduit is single cables.

Yes it was TW&E! So what should you use for TW&E - I didnt want to use
armoured cable to keep costs down and I needed to route a lot of the
cable through the house first. Since I needed an uninterrupted cable
from consumer unit to outhouse , thought TW&E with conduit would have
been the best option..

Conduit since it provides protection doesn't need the cover of TW&E so
you'd normally use single cables.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...s_1/index.html

But drawing through even those can be tricky.

Can't you use SWA? Much less hassle than conduit and cheaper too - as
well as a better job.

What is SWA? Armoured cable? For 6mm2 TW&E I thought it was a lot more
pricey

Yes - steel wire armoured. Will cost about a couple of quid a metre for
16mm three core cut to length.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...SWA/index.html

So cheaper than TW&E plus conduit - as well as being easier to install,
neater, and a better job. You can always join it inside the house to TW&E
if this is easier.

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 05:25:04 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Richard
wrote this:-

I didnt want to use
armoured cable to keep costs down and I needed to route a lot of the
cable through the house first. Since I needed an uninterrupted cable
from consumer unit to outhouse

Why?

A general way of doing such circuits is to run twin and earth
through the house to a suitable box inside the house. From there
steel wire armoured cable is run to the outbuilding. One of the
things to watch is whether the size of the protective conductor in
the T&E is large enough.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ured_SWA/index...

So cheaper than TW&E plus conduit - as well as being easier to install,
neater, and a better job. You can always join it inside the house to TW&E
if this is easier.

Too late now, patio laid :-( I'll have to continue with what I've got,
so any recommendations for conduiting into the house gratefully
received. I'll research more thoroughly next time..Thanks for the
advice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why?

Because the building inspector or the Section L approving party (cant
remember which it was now, its been so long), told me so! I'm not
particularly chuffed if I could have connected from a separate box in
the house near to where it exited the house (my original idea), as
routing that wire was a PITA! Thanks for the advice anyway..

A general way of doing such circuits is to run twin and earth
through the house to a suitable box inside the house. From there
steel wire armoured cable is run to the outbuilding. One of the
things to watch is whether the size of the protective conductor in
the T&E is large enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 11:40:44 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Richard
wrote this:-

Why?

Because the building inspector or the Section L approving party (cant
remember which it was now, its been so long), told me so!

They were wrong.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh