Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default pvc/abs glue

I once had a joint to make a joint, the fitting was correct for the two
materials, but one side was PVC and the other was ABS, I had no idea how to
glue the joint, and didn't know what type of glue to join the two dissimilar
materials. Since it was a weekend and only one non-critical joint, I used
ABS solvent glue on the ABS part and PVC solvent glue on the PVC part and
put them together while both were wet. The glues worked and the joint has
held for the past 25 years.

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have some abs pipe. I am trying to find some abs pipe extenders. I have
bought some before at the pool place, but now all they have is pvc. All I
am finding online is pvc. Still looking for ABS, and have e mails into
quite a few companies.

How well does the glue available for gluing abs to pvc work?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have some abs pipe. I am trying to find some abs pipe extenders. I have
bought some before at the pool place, but now all they have is pvc. All I
am finding online is pvc. Still looking for ABS, and have e mails into
quite a few companies.

How well does the glue available for gluing abs to pvc work?

Steve

The green glue is the one to use. It is made for abs/pvc connections. The
same cleaner can be used on both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in message

I once had a joint to make a joint, the fitting was correct for the two
materials, but one side was PVC and the other was ABS, I had no idea how
to glue the joint,

Oatey makes a single glue which works for ABS, PVC and CPVC. I bought a
can at HD recently

Saw it today. It's in a yellow can.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 7:11 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Rudy" wrote in message

I once had a joint to make a joint, the fitting was correct for the two
materials, but one side was PVC and the other was ABS, I had no idea how
to glue the joint,

Oatey makes a single glue which works for ABS, PVC and CPVC. I bought a
can at HD recently

Saw it today. It's in a yellow can.

Steve

Check out the Oatey website.

I have used universal glue for ABS & PVC but ABS pipe to ABS fittings
or PVC pipe to PVC fittings.

If its the prodcut I used it's not a transition glue.

I did use use it for PVC to ABS (before I found the transition glue)
but not in a pressurized system. The joints held but I never really
stressed them much.

The Oatey PVC / ABS transition glue (green?) according to their
website is for non pressure applications.

cheers
Bob