Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Corner Trim (Exterior) Raised Panels

I'd like to replace my standard flat corner trim on a 2-story colonial
with slightly larger raised panel corner boards. Is there a formal
name for these, and does anyone have a link to a website that shows
what's available and how it was used?

TIA!
Posted to alt.home.repair

captmike wrote:
I'd like to replace my standard flat corner trim on a 2-story colonial
with slightly larger raised panel corner boards. Is there a formal
name for these, and does anyone have a link to a website that shows
what's available and how it was used?

TIA!

It sounds to me like you are referring to corner trim boards that the
siding boards butt into and are flush with.

How close am I?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 6:54 pm, captmike wrote:
I'd like to replace my standard flat corner trim on a 2-story colonial
with slightly larger raised panel corner boards. Is there a formal
name for these, and does anyone have a link to a website that shows
what's available and how it was used?

I think you're referring to quoining.
http://www.archiclad.com.au/mouldings.html
The style started with stone corners on masonry buildings and made the
transition to wood when the classical revival thing was in full
swing. In Italy you can find trompe l'oiel examples painted on the
corners of stucco buildings.

Google quoining (and as a variant coining - some people have only
heard the word and it does sound similar) and check out the images
tab. You'll get lots of examples.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're close, but no cigar. I'm trying to define exterior corner trim
used on clapboard siding. It might simply be called corner boards or
something like that. I'll try to describe it physically.

Picture a two-story clapboard sided colonial. Usually, at each
exterior corner, a flat piece of trim wood is nailed to sort of "cap"
the corner, forming an "L" section to cover all the raw edges of the
clapboard. Very often this trim is painted white as a contrast to the
siding color. It's usually 3/4" board and its probably 6" to 10" wide
depending on the design. The edges of the clapboards butt against the
3/4" sides of the "corner boards". It runs from the last clapboard on
the foundation sides vertically up to the soffets. Now, in some
instances, I've seen 10" wide "corner boards" that have recessed
raised panels like a front door or column on a porch... but remember
it's L-shaped/2-sided.

Coining trim is usually done in masonry with stacked blocks that stick
out a little over the bricks. Some houses are showing wooden coining
blocks. Same area, but a different look. I want something 18 feet
long, L-shaped with each side being about 8" to 10" wide in the "L".

OK, come on back with the links!

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 07:01:47 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

On Feb 6, 6:54 pm, captmike wrote:
I'd like to replace my standard flat corner trim on a 2-story colonial
with slightly larger raised panel corner boards. Is there a formal
name for these, and does anyone have a link to a website that shows
what's available and how it was used?

I think you're referring to quoining.
http://www.archiclad.com.au/mouldings.html
The style started with stone corners on masonry buildings and made the
transition to wood when the classical revival thing was in full
swing. In Italy you can find trompe l'oiel examples painted on the
corners of stucco buildings.

Google quoining (and as a variant coining - some people have only
heard the word and it does sound similar) and check out the images
tab. You'll get lots of examples.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 7:36 pm, captmike wrote:
You're close, but no cigar. I'm trying to define exterior corner trim
used on clapboard siding. It might simply be called corner boards or
something like that. I'll try to describe it physically.

Picture a two-story clapboard sided colonial. Usually, at each
exterior corner, a flat piece of trim wood is nailed to sort of "cap"
the corner, forming an "L" section to cover all the raw edges of the
clapboard. Very often this trim is painted white as a contrast to the
siding color. It's usually 3/4" board and its probably 6" to 10" wide
depending on the design.

1x material doesn't stand out far enough on its own to cover the
complete end of the clapboards unless you're using small and thin
clapboards. You'll probably need to shim behind the 1x or use 5/4.

The edges of the clapboards butt against the
3/4" sides of the "corner boards". It runs from the last clapboard on
the foundation sides vertically up to the soffets. Now, in some
instances, I've seen 10" wide "corner boards" that have recessed
raised panels like a front door or column on a porch... but remember
it's L-shaped/2-sided.

Coining trim is usually done in masonry with stacked blocks that stick
out a little over the bricks. Some houses are showing wooden coining
blocks. Same area, but a different look. I want something 18 feet
long, L-shaped with each side being about 8" to 10" wide in the "L".

OK, come on back with the links!

That's not a standard, classical architectural detail and you're
unlikely to find a lot of examples to compare searching the internet.
It's more likely that you'd find examples in old architectural
textbooks at a local university. I don't quite understand what you're
trying to do with the L-shape, but the proportions are entirely a
personal preference/taste thing. Draw it up to scale several
different ways and pick the one you like the best.

An 8" or 10" raised panel corner might look pinched. An applied
molding/panel could simulate the raised panel look and would be easier
to make. You could also do something on the corner itself, such as
this:
http://www.cmhpf.org/lytle25S.JPG

raised panels mark Woodworking 13 February 4th 06 11:32 PM
Raised panels on the table saw Mike W. Woodworking 8 January 3rd 06 12:02 AM
"too much" raised panels? CNT Woodworking 11 July 13th 05 05:31 PM
raised panels (again) CNT Woodworking 8 May 21st 05 04:29 PM
Raised Panels CNT Woodworking 12 May 5th 05 04:30 PM