Posted to rec.woodworking
mark

Default raised panels

From what I understand verticle panel raising is easier and safer than doing
it with a large 3+" horizontal panel raising bit. Other than making a good
solid tall fence is there any reason to re-consider doing them horizontally?
I have a 2 1/4" bosch router and a table for it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"mark" wrote in message

From what I understand verticle panel raising is easier and safer than

doing
it with a large 3+" horizontal panel raising bit. Other than making a good
solid tall fence is there any reason to re-consider doing them

horizontally?
I have a 2 1/4" bosch router and a table for it.

Plenty of panels are raised on router tables. Slow your router down for the
big cutters. Obviously, with a router you can achieve more than just a
simple 15 degree bevel. Often, that's desirable. Style and rail mating is
easier as well, since the cutters provide proper contours, and actually a
better amount of glue surface - though I'm not sure how much real value that
is. Certainly more is better, but like everything else there is a point of
diminishing returns. Doweled or M/T joinery offer plenty of strength and
stability for the intended purpose. Likewise with the safety aspect.
Properly used, how much more unsafe is a router than a table saw? Lots of
noise from time to time about "3 in whirling cutters", but beyond the
rhetorical value of such statements, the router has an admirable record of
providing safe and efficient woodworking.

Don't know if I really answered your questions...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
mark

I was refering to verticle panel raising bits in a router table as opposed
to horizontal panel raising bits in a router table.

verticle
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46178&ap=1

horizontal
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46178&ap=1

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message

From what I understand verticle panel raising is easier and safer than

doing
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"mark" wrote in message
From what I understand verticle panel raising is easier and safer than
doing
it with a large 3+" horizontal panel raising bit. Other than making a good
solid tall fence is there any reason to re-consider doing them
horizontally?
I have a 2 1/4" bosch router and a table for it.

If you are spinning 3" bits a larger router is desirable. Actually it is
easier to make curved cuts when using a horizontal bit vs. a vertical bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "mark" wrote:
From what I understand verticle panel raising is easier and safer than doing
it with a large 3+" horizontal panel raising bit. Other than making a good
solid tall fence is there any reason to re-consider doing them horizontally?
I have a 2 1/4" bosch router and a table for it.

One big point in favor of doing them horizontally is that it's obviously
easier to hold the panel down flat against a large table than to hold it
perfectly vertical against a relatively tiny fence. I'd think that, at a
minimum, you'd want to make an auxilliary fence a good six inches tall if
you're going to do them vertically.

Sounds to me like a good excuse to buy a shaper...

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"mark" wrote in message
I was refering to verticle panel raising bits in a router table as opposed
to horizontal panel raising bits in a router table.

verticle
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46178&ap=1

horizontal
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46178&ap=1

For 1 1/2 wide areas, you could use vertical, though I find referencing to
a broader table versus the fence easier. I use my jointer hold downs to
both reference and feed that way instead of featherboards or pressure
rollers to reference that I still have to feed around.

Now if you're going for wider detail on the edges, you have to go
horizontal.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

As apposed to ten inch whirling cutters (tablesaw).

Lots of
noise from time to time about "3 in whirling cutters",

Posted to rec.woodworking
chuck

A less expensive alternative to a shaper might be to use a vertical
router panel-raising bit horizontally; i.e., with a horizontally mounted
router. Your Bosch would have more than enough power in that mode.

Chuck

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "mark" wrote:
From what I understand verticle panel raising is easier and safer than doing

it with a large 3+" horizontal panel raising bit. Other than making a good
solid tall fence is there any reason to re-consider doing them horizontally?
I have a 2 1/4" bosch router and a table for it.

One big point in favor of doing them horizontally is that it's obviously
easier to hold the panel down flat against a large table than to hold it
perfectly vertical against a relatively tiny fence. I'd think that, at a
minimum, you'd want to make an auxilliary fence a good six inches tall if
you're going to do them vertically.

Sounds to me like a good excuse to buy a shaper...

Posted to rec.woodworking

mark wrote:
I was refering to verticle panel raising bits in a router table as opposed
to horizontal panel raising bits in a router table.

verticle
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46178&ap=1

horizontal
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46178&ap=1

An alternative is to use the verticle panel raising bit in a horizontal
router
table like the one near the bottom of this page:

http://christophermerrill.net/ww/sho...uterTable.html

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

Maybe make a jig thingy that slides on the table and has a high vertical to
clamp to. Bract to the outside with a couple of 90s and it would be rigid.
I'm sure it's in the books. No need to use the groove, just keep pressure
against the fence. Love my shaper and 5 1/2" cutter, but I'd do this
otherwise.
Wilson
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , "mark"
wrote:
From what I understand verticle panel raising is easier and safer than
doing
it with a large 3+" horizontal panel raising bit. Other than making a good
solid tall fence is there any reason to re-consider doing them
horizontally?
I have a 2 1/4" bosch router and a table for it.

One big point in favor of doing them horizontally is that it's obviously
easier to hold the panel down flat against a large table than to hold it
perfectly vertical against a relatively tiny fence. I'd think that, at a
minimum, you'd want to make an auxilliary fence a good six inches tall if
you're going to do them vertically.

Sounds to me like a good excuse to buy a shaper...

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 14:05:28 GMT, "mark"
wrote:

From what I understand verticle panel raising is easier and safer than doing
it with a large 3+" horizontal panel raising bit. Other than making a good
solid tall fence is there any reason to re-consider doing them horizontally?
I have a 2 1/4" bosch router and a table for it.

Either way works. I prefer moving the panels horizontally over the
bit as I find it easier than the vertical method. Whatever way you
choose, make at least two passes for a cleaner cut. A good DC will
help move the chips for a better cut. For safety, think about
guards, featherboards, push blocks, good lighting, clean floor,
ear/eye protection and a clear-thinking brain.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 14:55:32 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"mark" wrote in message
From what I understand verticle panel raising is easier and safer than
doing
it with a large 3+" horizontal panel raising bit. Other than making a good
solid tall fence is there any reason to re-consider doing them
horizontally?
I have a 2 1/4" bosch router and a table for it.

If you are spinning 3" bits a larger router is desirable. Actually it is
easier to make curved cuts when using a horizontal bit vs. a vertical bit.

Also, use a router that can run less than 22,000 rpm.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

The recomended speed for a 3" bit is 12,000 rpms which should be the lowest
speed setting on most 21/4 hp routers.

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 14:55:32 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"mark" wrote in message
From what I understand verticle panel raising is easier and safer than
doing
it with a large 3+" horizontal panel raising bit. Other than making a

good
solid tall fence is there any reason to re-consider doing them
horizontally?
I have a 2 1/4" bosch router and a table for it.

If you are spinning 3" bits a larger router is desirable. Actually it is
easier to make curved cuts when using a horizontal bit vs. a vertical

bit.

Also, use a router that can run less than 22,000 rpm.

Raised panels on the table saw Mike W. Woodworking 8 January 3rd 06 12:02 AM
"too much" raised panels? CNT Woodworking 11 July 13th 05 05:31 PM
router and raised panels ?s habbi Woodworking 13 May 22nd 05 04:15 PM
raised panels (again) CNT Woodworking 8 May 21st 05 04:29 PM
Raised Panels CNT Woodworking 12 May 5th 05 04:30 PM