Posted to alt.home.repair

Default IS THERE AN ELECTRICIAN IN THE HOUSE?

Can you tell me what I have here!

Upstairs I have the main power box coming in from the street. The
main
shut off has 60 on it on the right side. The left side has 60
[range].
And the rest of the breakers are 40, 20, 20, 15, 15.

Now down in my cellar there is another box with a double 30 breaker,
two 15 breakers and another double 30 breaker that says range.

A few questions, Why would there be two range breakers that can be
shut off, one upstairs and one in the cellar. I can turn the range
off
at both location? Is this taking any more power away having two
instead of one? Could have that taken out and put in 20 in it's
place?

Last, can I add a 20 amp breaker to the box in the cellar, would it
handle this additional breaker?

Thank you for your time and knowledge on this subject.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

"lance" wrote in message
[...]

The circuit breaker boxes are probably not labeled correctly. Try shutting
each breaker off one at a time and see what goes off. 60 amps is unusually
big for a residential stove, especially when the entire service is 60 amps.
This sounds as though it could be a split bus panel. The 60 amp breaker may
be the main for the sub-panel in the basement and the 40 amp may be the main
for the lower half of the upstairs breaker box. The 30 amp breaker
downstairs may actually be for the range. Are you able to visually trace
the wires?

You may be able to add another breaker into the basement box depending on
the existing load, the feeder wire size, and the available spaces in the
breaker box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My best guess given your description: The panel has two main disconnects.
The one that says "main" controls the power to all the lower breakers in the
panel. The one that says "range" may go to a range, or it may feed the panel
in the basement. If the "range" main doesn't control the panel in the
basement, possibly the 40 amp breaker does. It's not likely that there are
two disconnects for the range. You need to do some experimenting to see what
goes off by each breaker. You may or may not be able to add an additional 20
amp breaker to the basement panel, depending upon it's current load, and
whether there is a space for one

"lance" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"lance" wrote in message
[...]

In my mind's eye I'm picturing a split bus panel with "Range" and "Main"
stamped into the metal of the cover

The 60 amp breaker may
be the main for the sub-panel in the basement and the 40 amp may be the
main for the lower half of the upstairs breaker box. The 30 amp breaker
downstairs may actually be for the range. Are you able to visually trace
the wires?

You may be able to add another breaker into the basement box depending on
the existing load, the feeder wire size, and the available spaces in the
breaker box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lance" wrote in message
[...]

I had the same thought after I posted. It has been a while since I have
seen a split bus panel.

The 60 amp breaker may
be the main for the sub-panel in the basement and the 40 amp may be the
main for the lower half of the upstairs breaker box. The 30 amp breaker
downstairs may actually be for the range. Are you able to visually trace
the wires?

You may be able to add another breaker into the basement box depending on
the existing load, the feeder wire size, and the available spaces in the
breaker box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lance" wrote in message

[...]

*Dave- Hide quoted text -

Just a comment/suggestion: Some 40+ years ago we had a house circuit
breaker panel that had 'two' main breakers.

One, as mentioned here was the main disconnect for a group of regular
house circuit beakers below it. Outlets, hot water heater, lights etc.
Not electric heat.

The other 'main' breaker had been intended for a flat or discount rate
water heater, that in certain parts of rural Ontario Canada could be
switched off remotely by the power utility for load shedding.

Being in a province that did not use load shedding we used the second
main breaker for the electric cooking range.

IIRC the main breaker was 100 amp, and the range breaker was 40 (or
maybe 50) amp. Those two breakers were together in the top part of the
circuit breaker panel.

In present house (electric heat) we have a 200 amp service and main
breaker; with a 100 amp breaker serving a secondary panel which is
near the kitchen area. That secondary panel contains various breakers
including one that serves the electric cooking range etc.

Hence we have three breakers that can switch off the cooking range.
1) Main breaker, turns off whole house.
2) Breaker (in main panel) serving secondary panel near kitchen.
3) The breaker that specifically serves the cooking stove.

Sounds like OP may have something similar????

Sixty amp sounds pretty small service in this day and age! But does
provide for roughly 14 kilowatts. Here, 200 amp is now and has been
for many years, minimum for new construction!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 5:12*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"lance" wrote in message

[...]

breaker box.- Hide quoted text -

I will be doing a few things today you all suggested, so I should gave
some answers to pass on. Will get back to you later today. Thank you
all for the info.

Electrician says PME ac1951 UK diy 13 October 31st 07 04:39 PM
Is There An Electrician in the House? Arthur Shapiro Home Repair 140 December 27th 06 05:48 AM
Should electrician do this? SQLit Home Repair 8 September 1st 05 02:37 PM
Finding a good electrician in Manchester to rewire a house Biguana UK diy 10 February 5th 05 11:51 PM
Illegally renting main house and living in another house built on back of the house on same plot... Kaushik Home Ownership 13 October 23rd 04 12:32 PM