Biguana

Default Finding a good electrician in Manchester to rewire a house

Hi there,

Sorry, I know this is a DIY group. If anyone can suggest a better
group for the post I'd be happy to hear.

I'm after an electrician to re-wire our (smallish) house. This has to
be done to comply with the mortgage terms and needs doing anyway. It
has to be done by someone NICEIC qualified. I only , moved to the area
2 years ago, have never owned a home before and I can't find anyone
available at all, let alone someone recommended by anyone (which I'd
much rather do).

If you can help, thanks.

Tim

Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Biguana" writes:
Hi there,

Sorry, I know this is a DIY group. If anyone can suggest a better
group for the post I'd be happy to hear.

I'm after an electrician to re-wire our (smallish) house. This has to
be done to comply with the mortgage terms and needs doing anyway. It
has to be done by someone NICEIC qualified. I only , moved to the area
2 years ago, have never owned a home before and I can't find anyone
available at all, let alone someone recommended by anyone (which I'd
much rather do).

The requirement for NICEIC qualified is unreasonable, and you should
get that changed to "complying with building regulations".
However, you are probably running in to the repercussions from Part P
introduction, which has caused a lot of electricians to cease doing
domestic work. There was a shortage even before that happened...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Fred

It has to be done by someone NICEIC qualified.
Why?

There is no such thing as NICEIC qualified. Its just one of a number of
registration schemes. The NICEIC is a company run for its own benefit and
not for the benefit of its members or consumers.

The following will list all NICEIC registered electricians:
http://www.niceic.org.uk/common/contractor_search.html

Biguana

Hi there,

Thanks for quick responses. Perhaps I've got my wires crossed (sorry
). The acronym on the mortgage required could have been something
other than NICEIC. I'll post again when I've double checked.

I've already been down the entire list on that site for "Manchester",
specifying "Domestic". Weirdly the only ones that actually answered
don't do domestic. Only whole estates and council work. I don't have
a whole estate.

Except one that can do work with no notice (and I got the impression
they mostly do tenanted houses and flats) which leaves me wondering why
they have no work scheduled? Or are they definitely OK if they're
NICEIC?

Can anyone actually recommend anyone?

Seems like the government is desperately trying to get everyone into
Uni, which means a) People have to pay for their own education and b)
There is a shortage of decent tradesmen.
And then they are saying no-one can do their own DIY and putting all
the electricians off domestic work.

I don't mean to be political on a DIY group (who said "media studies
degrees"?). I just need to get my house re-wired.

Thanks,

Tim

Broadback

Biguana wrote:

[...]

I know this sounds Irish, but if all else fails do you know a good
plumber? I had a plumber in to revamp the central heating (Manchester
area)and he had an electrician in to do the electrical work. Just a
thought. Failing that go to a local builders or plumbers merchants,
(for example Atlas in Stretford) they often have cards displayed. Happy
hunting.

Dave Stanton

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 09:58:14 -0800, Biguana wrote:

[...]

Any electrician who can self certify his work for Part P should be able to
do that. Wether you can get that past a mortgage company who appear to be
shorted sighted and unsure themselves about Part P, is another thing.

Dave

again
in the future!!
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Broadback writes:
Biguana wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks for quick responses. Perhaps I've got my wires crossed (sorry
). The acronym on the mortgage required could have been something
other than NICEIC. I'll post again when I've double checked.

I've already been down the entire list on that site for "Manchester",
specifying "Domestic". Weirdly the only ones that actually answered
don't do domestic.

Yes, they will have stopped on January 1st I expect.

I know this sounds Irish, but if all else fails do you know a good
plumber? I had a plumber in to revamp the central heating (Manchester
area)and he had an electrician in to do the electrical work. Just a

Plumbers can't get electricians now either.

thought. Failing that go to a local builders or plumbers merchants,
(for example Atlas in Stretford) they often have cards displayed. Happy
hunting.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Biguana

Hi there,

Having checked the paperwork it definitely is "NICEIC approved"
(although the mortgage company has written NEIC on quite a few bits of
the paperwork?). I might try asking our plumber.

Cheers,

Tim

Mike

Broadback writes:
Biguana wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks for quick responses. Perhaps I've got my wires crossed (sorry
). The acronym on the mortgage required could have been something
other than NICEIC. I'll post again when I've double checked.

Okay. Thinking out of the box time. Somebody here mentioned that for gas
people you only need one person in the company actually approved and anybody
can do the work. Is this true for electrics ?

If so should we all set up a limited liabilty company, based in IoM and with
with assets of £1, and one of us get the dreaded NICEIC approval so we can
all sign off each others work ?

Just a thought

Mike

Dave Jones

"Mike" wrote in message

Broadback writes:
Biguana wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks for quick responses. Perhaps I've got my wires crossed (sorry
). The acronym on the mortgage required could have been something
other than NICEIC. I'll post again when I've double checked.

Okay. Thinking out of the box time. Somebody here mentioned that for gas
people you only need one person in the company actually approved and
anybody
can do the work. Is this true for electrics ?

If so should we all set up a limited liabilty company, based in IoM and
with
with assets of £1, and one of us get the dreaded NICEIC approval so we can
all sign off each others work ?

Just a thought

Mike

So you set it up and we'll all work under you, and when one of us cocks up
and kills somebody, you can go to court and face the music!

Sound like a plan to me!

Mike

"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

Broadback writes:
Biguana wrote:

[...]

As I said, it would be an IoM based limited company. No legal liability on
directors there.
(In fact there is little in the UK either of course but that's another
issue)