Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default IS THERE AN ELECTRICIAN IN THE HOUSE?

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"lance" wrote in message
Can you tell me what I have here!

Upstairs I have the main power box coming in from the street. The
main
shut off has 60 on it on the right side. The left side has 60
[range].
And the rest of the breakers are 40, 20, 20, 15, 15.

Now down in my cellar there is another box with a double 30 breaker,
two 15 breakers and another double 30 breaker that says range.

A few questions, Why would there be two range breakers that can be
shut off, one upstairs and one in the cellar. I can turn the range
off
at both location? Is this taking any more power away having two
instead of one? Could have that taken out and put in 20 in it's
place?

Last, can I add a 20 amp breaker to the box in the cellar, would it
handle this additional breaker?

Thank you for your time and knowledge on this subject.

Dave

The circuit breaker boxes are probably not labeled correctly. Try
shutting each breaker off one at a time and see what goes off. 60 amps is
unusually big for a residential stove, especially when the entire service
is 60 amps. This sounds as though it could be a split bus panel.

In my mind's eye I'm picturing a split bus panel with "Range" and "Main"
stamped into the metal of the cover

The 60 amp breaker may
be the main for the sub-panel in the basement and the 40 amp may be the
main for the lower half of the upstairs breaker box. The 30 amp breaker
downstairs may actually be for the range. Are you able to visually trace
the wires?

You may be able to add another breaker into the basement box depending on
the existing load, the feeder wire size, and the available spaces in the
breaker box.