Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat pump defrost

I live in West Chester, Pa., 30 west of Philadelphia. A ARUF018-00A-1
heat pump was installed in my condo about 3 yrs. Ago. I notice that in
the summer if I set the thermostat to a random temperature such as 73
degrees the A/C kicks on and when it reaches 73 degrees the aux heat
kicks on, the compressor kicks on and off every 5 to 10 seconds and
the condenser fan locks out and it seem to go into defrost mode for
about 10 minutes. In the winter the defrost mode does not work at all.
I had the tech service the unit 3 times. The first time he replaced
the thermostat. The second time he added Freon. The third time he
replaced the defrost board and sensor. And after all this it still did
not take care of the problem. Can you help me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 06:43:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I live in West Chester, Pa., 30 west of Philadelphia. A ARUF018-00A-1
heat pump was installed in my condo about 3 yrs. Ago. I notice that in
the summer if I set the thermostat to a random temperature such as 73
degrees the A/C kicks on and when it reaches 73 degrees the aux heat
kicks on, the compressor kicks on and off every 5 to 10 seconds and
the condenser fan locks out and it seem to go into defrost mode for
about 10 minutes. In the winter the defrost mode does not work at all.
I had the tech service the unit 3 times. The first time he replaced
the thermostat. The second time he added Freon. The third time he
replaced the defrost board and sensor. And after all this it still did
not take care of the problem. Can you help me.

First you need to ask for your money back.
Then you need to find a new service company.
Bubba

I had the same problem with my heat pump that you are having. I had a
Carrier. I took the heat pump out and installed a gas furnace and A/C. If I
would have kept the heat pump it would have ran me in the poor house paying
for the repairs. I wrote Carrier and complained about their ****ty product.
They or the company that installed it would do nothing to stand behind
their product. I wouldn't have a heat pump if you gave it to me free and
installed it free! They are nothing but a piece of ****! I am very bitter
about the product. You wouldn't believe me if I told you what I have spent
on repairs on my 3 year old unit. I even had a repair insurance policy on it
which ran me $269 a year plus the deductable. That alone ought to tell you
how much confidence they have in their product.
The only place a heat pump might be useful would be in South Florida,
Arizona (Phoenix area south), or Southern Cal.
I don't care what praises other have for a HP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 9:43*am, wrote:
I live in West Chester, Pa., 30 west of Philadelphia. A ARUF018-00A-1
heat pump was installed in my condo about 3 yrs. Ago. I notice that in
the summer if I set the thermostat to a random temperature such as 73
degrees the A/C kicks on and when it reaches 73 degrees the aux heat
kicks on, the compressor kicks on and off every 5 to 10 seconds and
the condenser fan locks out and it seem to go into defrost mode for
about 10 minutes. In the winter the defrost mode does not work at all.
I had the tech service the unit 3 times. The first time he replaced
the thermostat. The second time he added Freon. The third time he
replaced the defrost board and sensor. And after all this it still did
not take care of the problem. Can you help me.

it's wired wrong
Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:56:46 -0600, "Dave" wrote:

"Bubba" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Dave,
What you and the OP had were "parts changers".
Anyone can do that.
I have a high efficiency gas forced air 2 stg variable speed furnace.
Outisde I have a 14 SEER heat pump attached to it.
They both work great. I believe the heat pump has been in 4 yrs now.
Hasnt had a thing happen to it. I had a wonderful
installer...............ME! Thats what I do.
The greatest piece of equipment installed by the worst hack will net
you a horrible piece of crap.
Do your homework next time. Get references and check them out. Get it
installed correctly. Dont look for the cheapest hack out there.
Bubba

Bubba I bought the house new and was told that a Carrier heat pump was the
best on the market. In my opinion it is the best piece of crapp on the
market.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 2:10*pm, Mark wrote:
On Feb 6, 9:43*am, wrote:

I live in West Chester, Pa., 30 west of Philadelphia. A ARUF018-00A-1
heat pump was installed in my condo about 3 yrs. Ago. I notice that in
the summer if I set the thermostat to a random temperature such as 73
degrees the A/C kicks on and when it reaches 73 degrees the aux heat
kicks on, the compressor kicks on and off every 5 to 10 seconds and
the condenser fan locks out and it seem to go into defrost mode for
about 10 minutes. In the winter the defrost mode does not work at all.
I had the tech service the unit 3 times. The first time he replaced
the thermostat. The second time he added Freon. The third time he
replaced the defrost board and sensor. And after all this it still did
not take care of the problem. Can you help me.

it's wired wrong
Mark

I asked the tech that and he said checked and told me that it is wired
right but could it been wired wrong inside the unit at the factory

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 3:05*pm, "Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 "
I live in West Chester, Pa., 30 west of Philadelphia. A ARUF018-00A-1
heat pump was installed in my condo about 3 yrs. Ago. I notice that in
the summer if I set the thermostat to a random temperature such as 73
degrees the A/C kicks on and when it reaches 73 degrees the aux heat
kicks on, the compressor kicks on and off every 5 to 10 seconds and
the condenser fan locks out and it seem to go into defrost mode for
about 10 minutes. In the winter the defrost mode does not work at all.
I had the tech service the unit 3 times. The first time he replaced
the thermostat. The second time he added Freon. The third time he
replaced the defrost board and sensor. And after all this it still did
not take care of the problem. Can you help me.

Why would it need to defrost in the winter? You making ice cubes with it.

--
Blattus Slafaly *? 3 * * *7/8

I need it to defrost in the winter because the ice builds up and keeps
the pump from doing its job

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 1:56*pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Bubba" wrote in message

[...]

I don't care what praises other have for a HP.- Hide quoted text -

I live in a condo and the only option I have is a heat pump
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Feb 6, 1:56 pm, "Dave" wrote:

[...]

Go with an electric furnace and A/C unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 10:43*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 00:15:10 -0600, "Dave" wrote:

.. .

"Bubba" wrote in message
[...]

..........and let me guess. You were told that by a Carrier
dealer/builder rep who pushes Carrier equipment because the installing
company gets free trips and perks by selling more and more Carrier
equipment? *Duhhh.
You didnt actually think that the Carrier dealer was going to tell you
that Trane or Lennox or Rheem was the best there is.......did you?
Be that as it may, you are of course entitled to your own opinion.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

Read my problem, it is not a carrier unit Duhh.