Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anti-Freeze in Boiler??

My oil company has suggested putting anti-freeze in my boiler to avoid
the possibility of freeze-ups.
It sounds like a good idea, but I was wondering if anyone has ever
done it and how did it work??

Specifically, does your system heat the same??
That is, does your home get warm as fast, and do you use the same
amount of oil/gas/whatever with anti-freeze as with water??

Anyone have any real life direct actual experience with this??

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have areas of your system subject to freezing, you should have it
installed. There's nothing uglier that frozen broken pipes in the winter,
especially if no one is home at the time.

"FLSTCI" wrote in message
news
My oil company has suggested putting anti-freeze in my boiler to avoid
the possibility of freeze-ups.
It sounds like a good idea, but I was wondering if anyone has ever
done it and how did it work??

Specifically, does your system heat the same??
That is, does your home get warm as fast, and do you use the same
amount of oil/gas/whatever with anti-freeze as with water??

Anyone have any real life direct actual experience with this??

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Feb 3, 7:49*am, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
* * Keep in mind I don't know a lot about hot water or steam heat.

* * You say you have a boiler. *Could that really be a water heater? *Boiler
would infer (in my limited knowledge) a steam heating system. *If so then I
would guess you would have a special antifreeze different from the
automotive anti-freezes I know.

* * If it has the same qualities as automotive anti-freeze, I believe it
would increase the boiling point and therefore the temperature of the steam.
That could cause problems and/or increase the effective capacity of the
distribution system. *It would also mean for either hot water or steam
systems the efficiency would increase somewhat as it improves heat transfer
and it helps reduce corrosion.

--
Joseph Meehan

*Dia 's Muire duit

"FLSTCI" wrote in message

news

My oil company has suggested putting anti-freeze in my boiler to avoid
the possibility of freeze-ups.
It sounds *like a good idea, but I was wondering if anyone has ever
done it and how did it work??

Specifically, does your system heat the same??
That *is, does your home get warm as fast, and do you use the same
amount of oil/gas/whatever with anti-freeze as with water??

Anyone have any real life direct actual experience with this??

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

And if it ever hits the flame via a leak it will burn if it is Ethyl
Glycol based such as car antifreeze suggest you insulate the pipes or
find a new plumber. If electric unit fine not gas
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim" wrote in message
[...]

"FLSTCI" wrote in message

news

My oil company has suggested putting anti-freeze in my boiler to avoid
the possibility of freeze-ups.
It sounds like a good idea, but I was wondering if anyone has ever
done it and how did it work??

Specifically, does your system heat the same??
That is, does your home get warm as fast, and do you use the same
amount of oil/gas/whatever with anti-freeze as with water??

Anyone have any real life direct actual experience with this??

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

And if it ever hits the flame via a leak it will burn if it is Ethyl
Glycol based such as car antifreeze suggest you insulate the pipes or
find a new plumber. If electric unit fine not gas

It's antifreeze made specifically for hydronic boilers

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 6:20 am, FLSTCI wrote:
My oil company has suggested putting anti-freeze in my boiler to avoid
the possibility of freeze-ups.
It sounds like a good idea, but I was wondering if anyone has ever
done it and how did it work??

Specifically, does your system heat the same??
That is, does your home get warm as fast, and do you use the same
amount of oil/gas/whatever with anti-freeze as with water??

Anyone have any real life direct actual experience with this??

Thanks!

The bad news is that using glycol in your boiler reduces the
efficiency by 15%. Also, if your system is kept up to pressure by
your household water supply, you have to have a special backflow
preventer called a RPZ valve (this is true in my town--check with your
local plumbing inspector) which has to be inspected annually by a
qualified person. Otherwise you will have to have a closed system
which will have to be brought up to pressure periodically. I
personally wouldn't do it unless I had some area prone to freezing
(like a garage or a sidewalk) or I left my house unattended frequently
during the winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 6:20*am, FLSTCI wrote:
My oil company has suggested putting anti-freeze in my boiler to avoid
the possibility of freeze-ups.
It sounds *like a good idea, but I was wondering if anyone has ever
done it and how did it work??

Specifically, does your system heat the same?? *
That *is, does your home get warm as fast, and do you use the same
amount of oil/gas/whatever with anti-freeze as with water??

Anyone have any real life direct actual experience with this??

Thanks!

Water is more efficent than car antifreeze at transfering heat, it
will lower boiler efficency, If you put 100% antifreeze in your car
the interior heater core wont warm you as well, in the summer the
motor will run alot hotter. Why should your pipes freeze.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 3, 6:20*am, FLSTCI wrote:
My oil company has suggested putting anti-freeze in my boiler to avoid
the possibility of freeze-ups.
It sounds *like a good idea, but I was wondering if anyone has ever
done it and how did it work??

Specifically, does your system heat the same?? *
That *is, does your home get warm as fast, and do you use the same
amount of oil/gas/whatever with anti-freeze as with water??

Anyone have any real life direct actual experience with this??

Thanks!

In the automotive field ethylene glycol has the reputation of leaking
through places where water won't. Given a perfectly sealed system, it
might not be important, but could be inadvisable in older equipment.
HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 06:31:28 -0800 (PST), marson
wrote:

On Feb 3, 6:20 am, FLSTCI wrote:

The bad news is that using glycol in your boiler reduces the
efficiency by 15%.

I sure would like to see some documentation on that!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Click here every day to feed an animal that needs you today !!!http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available onlinehttp://pmilligan.net/palm/

Google search will yield numerous references to this. For example,
http://www.radiantdesigninstitute.com/page38.html.

anti-freeze Caesar Romano Home Repair 4 September 1st 07 11:04 PM
How can I get rid of solar fluid (anti-freeze)? Steve Home Ownership 4 April 16th 06 04:27 PM
boiler fault - Anti Frost in function burner in operation Gisele Brookes UK diy 0 July 11th 04 07:54 PM
adding anti freeze to central heating Bloss UK diy 19 May 31st 04 09:51 AM
Anti cycling boiler with low return temp. Pete UK diy 1 April 13th 04 07:53 PM