Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Anti-Freeze in Boiler??

On Feb 3, 7:49*am, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
* * Keep in mind I don't know a lot about hot water or steam heat.

* * You say you have a boiler. *Could that really be a water heater? *Boiler
would infer (in my limited knowledge) a steam heating system. *If so then I
would guess you would have a special antifreeze different from the
automotive anti-freezes I know.

* * If it has the same qualities as automotive anti-freeze, I believe it
would increase the boiling point and therefore the temperature of the steam.
That could cause problems and/or increase the effective capacity of the
distribution system. *It would also mean for either hot water or steam
systems the efficiency would increase somewhat as it improves heat transfer
and it helps reduce corrosion.

--
Joseph Meehan

*Dia 's Muire duit

"FLSTCI" wrote in message

news

My oil company has suggested putting anti-freeze in my boiler to avoid
the possibility of freeze-ups.
It sounds *like a good idea, but I was wondering if anyone has ever
done it and how did it work??

Specifically, does your system heat the same??
That *is, does your home get warm as fast, and do you use the same
amount of oil/gas/whatever with anti-freeze as with water??

Anyone have any real life direct actual experience with this??

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

And if it ever hits the flame via a leak it will burn if it is Ethyl
Glycol based such as car antifreeze suggest you insulate the pipes or
find a new plumber. If electric unit fine not gas