Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much space do you need for a vented gas fireplace?

We are remodelling our master bedroom and considering putting in a
vented gas fireplace opposite our bed.

However, we are tight on room so we need to know what is the minimal
depth that would be needed to add such a unit including space for
venting, fireplace itself, insulation, etc.

Of course, details will depend on the unit itself, but I would like to
get a ballpark estimate of the minimum space that would be needed so I
know whether it is even worth pursuing.

I tried googling some units but it wasn't clear in practice how much
total space is required.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
We are remodelling our master bedroom and considering putting in a
vented gas fireplace opposite our bed.

However, we are tight on room so we need to know what is the minimal
depth that would be needed to add such a unit including space for
venting, fireplace itself, insulation, etc.

Of course, details will depend on the unit itself, but I would like to
get a ballpark estimate of the minimum space that would be needed so I
know whether it is even worth pursuing.

I tried googling some units but it wasn't clear in practice how much
total space is required.

Thanks

Visit some stove shops in your area The manufacturers all have brochures
that list the space requirements for their products. I assume you are
looking for a zero clearance fireplace? These are installed and a
enclosure is built around it. You can also do a "bump out" that has the
face of the fireplace about flush with the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:

We are remodelling our master bedroom and considering putting in a
vented gas fireplace opposite our bed.

I'm a big fan of gas fireplaces, but I'd be hesitant to put one in a
sleeping area because of CO. It's just too small a space & you could
wake up dead with a minimum of equipment malfunction. At the least-
buy a CO detector with the fireplace.

Sam's Club had a great setup just inside their doors a couple weeks
ago-- Big 4-poster bed, with a HD TV hanging on the wall with a
fireplace video going on. You got sound and visuals far better than
any gas fireplace I've seen- falling logs, sparks, etc.

That and an electric blanket, and you're still toasty- and you can
switch it to a movie if you like.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht writes:
blueman wrote:

We are remodelling our master bedroom and considering putting in a
vented gas fireplace opposite our bed.

I'm a big fan of gas fireplaces, but I'd be hesitant to put one in a
sleeping area because of CO. It's just too small a space & you could
wake up dead with a minimum of equipment malfunction. At the least-
buy a CO detector with the fireplace.

Are you concerned even with the vented ones or just with the
non-vented types?

And I definitely agree with you on the CO detector and not sure I
would go to sleep with it on all night either.

Sam's Club had a great setup just inside their doors a couple weeks
ago-- Big 4-poster bed, with a HD TV hanging on the wall with a
fireplace video going on. You got sound and visuals far better than
any gas fireplace I've seen- falling logs, sparks, etc.

That would work for me but probably not for my wife. Heck I would
prefer the HDTV (without the fireplace video) to a fireplace.... but
have to please the wife...

That and an electric blanket, and you're still toasty- and you can
switch it to a movie if you like.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:

Jim Elbrecht writes:
blueman wrote:

We are remodelling our master bedroom and considering putting in a
vented gas fireplace opposite our bed.

I'm a big fan of gas fireplaces, but I'd be hesitant to put one in a
sleeping area because of CO. It's just too small a space & you could
wake up dead with a minimum of equipment malfunction. At the least-
buy a CO detector with the fireplace.

Are you concerned even with the vented ones or just with the
non-vented types?

Both- though I'd say non-vented is an absolute no-no in a bedroom.
Vented requires caution. People die every year from vented
devices whose vents fail for whatever reason. In a confined space
there is no warning, you just wake up dead.

-snip-
That would work for me but probably not for my wife. Heck I would
prefer the HDTV (without the fireplace video) to a fireplace.... but
have to please the wife...

Yeah- all the fireplace in the world won't keep the bedroom warm if
SWMBO is not happy.

Jim