ROBMURR

Default vented or ventless fireplace?

Its a little warm here to be talking about fireplaces but I have some
questions.
I have a prefab wood burning fireplace with gas starter that really puts out no
heat and when is not used lets drafts in. Also my wooden chimney box is in bad
shape
and I want to just remove it from the house(ranch style) and put new siding on
the back of the house..This would give me more patio room as well since the
chimney box intrudes into that space.
I would rather put the money it would take to repair the chimney into a
vented/ventless type fireplace. looks like the vented style would be easy to
run its intake/exhaust thru the wall behind the fireplace. Of course the
ventless would be even easier to install.
Anyone have this type of fireplace? Any comments welcome.
Do they work well? How about cost to use? Comfort?
Thanks!
Rob
m Ransley

Ventless release Co and use the available oxygen. Sure there are "
safteys" but anything can malfunction and someday will. In a modern
tight house you already may have poor air. Vented are low risk.

Joseph Meehan

ROBMURR wrote:
[...]

Ventless has some additional risk connected with it. If, unlike most,
your home has excessive moisture during the time of year you may use it,
then it will add more moisture. If like most you have low humidity, it will
add some.

Some people report they don't like the odor of a ventless unit.

Vent type is going to create a new problem for you. If I am guessing
right, that vent will end up going right to the patio. That would be a
safety hazard (hot surfaces) and I would guess most building codes would not
allow the patio and vent to share the same space.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

rck

Here in Tennessee unvented heaters and fireplaces are common. Some places
prohibit them. Check your local codes on this. Modern day heaters have a
sensor that will shut them off if oxygen level drops below a safe point.
However, unvented heaters do put some pollutants into the living space so
you should have adequate air ventilation. I have an unvented heater. The
owner's manual says there should be an opening from living space to outside
air of 1 sq in for each 1000 BTU. I have a dryer vent opening with a screen
across it. In a cold climate, that could let in a lot of cold air.

Bob

Art

We just had a vented put in to replace fireplace gas logs and love it.
Would never buy ventless. Buy one with ceramic glass even though they cost
more. Some are 80% efficient.