Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default How much space do you need for a vented gas fireplace?

blueman wrote:

Jim Elbrecht writes:
blueman wrote:

We are remodelling our master bedroom and considering putting in a
vented gas fireplace opposite our bed.

I'm a big fan of gas fireplaces, but I'd be hesitant to put one in a
sleeping area because of CO. It's just too small a space & you could
wake up dead with a minimum of equipment malfunction. At the least-
buy a CO detector with the fireplace.

Are you concerned even with the vented ones or just with the
non-vented types?

Both- though I'd say non-vented is an absolute no-no in a bedroom.
Vented requires caution. People die every year from vented
devices whose vents fail for whatever reason. In a confined space
there is no warning, you just wake up dead.

-snip-
That would work for me but probably not for my wife. Heck I would
prefer the HDTV (without the fireplace video) to a fireplace.... but
have to please the wife...

Yeah- all the fireplace in the world won't keep the bedroom warm if
SWMBO is not happy.

Jim