Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default How much space do you need for a vented gas fireplace?

Jim Elbrecht writes:
blueman wrote:

We are remodelling our master bedroom and considering putting in a
vented gas fireplace opposite our bed.

I'm a big fan of gas fireplaces, but I'd be hesitant to put one in a
sleeping area because of CO. It's just too small a space & you could
wake up dead with a minimum of equipment malfunction. At the least-
buy a CO detector with the fireplace.

Are you concerned even with the vented ones or just with the
non-vented types?

And I definitely agree with you on the CO detector and not sure I
would go to sleep with it on all night either.

Sam's Club had a great setup just inside their doors a couple weeks
ago-- Big 4-poster bed, with a HD TV hanging on the wall with a
fireplace video going on. You got sound and visuals far better than
any gas fireplace I've seen- falling logs, sparks, etc.

That would work for me but probably not for my wife. Heck I would
prefer the HDTV (without the fireplace video) to a fireplace.... but
have to please the wife...

That and an electric blanket, and you're still toasty- and you can
switch it to a movie if you like.

Jim