Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost to Run 12 volt Exterior Lighting

I use three, 300 watt 12 volt Maulibu type transformers to light my
yard and walkway lights around my home.

I was under the impression the reason one would use 12volt instead of
line voltage was the 12v was less costly to run.

How do I determine how much power each of these is drawing (per hr?)
so I calculate my cost per month. I don't think it will matter, but
one of them is only drawing about 160 watts. Each of the others is
near their 300 watt limit.

Thx
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I use three, 300 watt 12 volt Maulibu type transformers to light my
yard and walkway lights around my home.

I was under the impression the reason one would use 12volt instead of
line voltage was the 12v was less costly to run.

How do I determine how much power each of these is drawing (per hr?)
so I calculate my cost per month. I don't think it will matter, but
one of them is only drawing about 160 watts. Each of the others is
near their 300 watt limit.

Thx

It will actually cost around 20% more for the 12 volt lights using the same
wattage. This is due to the loss in the transfromer and to a very slight
aditional loss in the 12 volt wires.

Electricity is sold in kilowatt hours. To determin this you take the
wattage of the bulbs (if that is not known, you take the voltage and
multiply it by the current) and multiply it by the number of hours the bulbs
are on. This is watt hours. Then devide by 1000 for the kilowatt hours
(KWH). For the 12 volt system, you have to add about 20% due to the
aditional losses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Watts is watts regardless of voltage. Just add the wattage of all your
bulbs and calculate as you would in the house. The reason fancified outdoor
lighting is lo voltage and not 'line' voltage is because it's safer since
the lines are rarely buried very deep and there's also a much wider variety
of fixtures and bulbs in lo voltage.

wrote in message
I use three, 300 watt 12 volt Maulibu type transformers to light my
yard and walkway lights around my home.

I was under the impression the reason one would use 12volt instead of
line voltage was the 12v was less costly to run.

How do I determine how much power each of these is drawing (per hr?)
so I calculate my cost per month. I don't think it will matter, but
one of them is only drawing about 160 watts. Each of the others is
near their 300 watt limit.

Thx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 9:30*am, wrote:
I use three, 300 watt 12 volt Maulibu type transformers to light my
yard and walkway lights around my home.

I was under the impression the reason one would use 12volt instead of
line voltage was the 12v was less costly to run.

How do I determine how much power each of these is drawing (per hr?)
so I calculate my cost per month. *I don't think it will matter, but
one of them is only drawing about 160 watts. *Each of the others is
near their 300 watt limit.

Thx

They dont use less than comparable wattage 120v lights, probably more
since the transformer wastes energy through heat loss and the 12v
lights may not be as efficient as 120v bulbs. 760 w would cost me
maybe 36$ a month run 12 hrs a day, you have the number 760 watt
figure hours used x your eletic rate, a Kill-a-Watt meter is good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 10:05*am, Terry wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 07:30:36 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I use three, 300 watt 12 volt Maulibu type transformers to light my
yard and walkway lights around my home.

I was under the impression the reason one would use 12volt instead of
line voltage was the 12v was less costly to run.

How do I determine how much power each of these is drawing (per hr?)
so I calculate my cost per month. *I don't think it will matter, but
one of them is only drawing about 160 watts. *Each of the others is
near their 300 watt limit.

Thx

12V lights are cheaper to "install" than standard 120V lights because
of the cheaper materials involved.

300 x 3 = almost a kilowatt. *The average cost per kilowatt, last time
I checked, was close to a dime. *So you pay about a dime an hour to
run your 3 lights.

How did you come to the conclusion that one of your lights is only
drawing 160W? *If you have a 300W lamp in the fixture and are only
getting 160W then something is wrong.

he said his transformers were using near 760 w, a dime-10c for
electric, many pay .15-.18c per Kw, few pay 10c
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article
,
wrote:

I use three, 300 watt 12 volt Maulibu type transformers to light my
yard and walkway lights around my home.

I was under the impression the reason one would use 12volt instead of
line voltage was the 12v was less costly to run.

How do I determine how much power each of these is drawing (per hr?)
so I calculate my cost per month. I don't think it will matter, but
one of them is only drawing about 160 watts. Each of the others is
near their 300 watt limit.

Thx

A watt is a watt. It doesn't matter whether it's 12 volts or 120 volts.
Since a watt is a volt times an amp, the low voltage bulb will draw 10
times as much current as the 120 volt bulb of the same wattage. For cost
to operate, all you have to consider is watt-hours.

While a watt is a watt with lights, the 12 volt system will cost about 20%
more to run if the same wattage of bulbs is used. This is because of the
transformer loss and a small aditional loss in the 12 volt wiring compaired
to the 120 volt wiring..

The 12 volt system is used mainly due to the safety factor. If a dog chews
into the 12 volt system, he will receive a small charge and not be harmed
where the 120 volt system will probably kill.

You've got your decimal point in the wrong place. Transformer and wiring
losses will be more like 2%, not 20%.

As for not electrocuting some filthy dog crapping on my lawn, digging in
my landscaping and chewing my wiring, I'm not sure low voltage is a good
thing. I'm thinking I should upgrade to 480V landscape lighting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

he was referring to the transformers, not the lights themselves. Obviously
you would not have a single 300w light on lo voltage.

"Terry" wrote in message
How did you come to the conclusion that one of your lights is only

drawing 160W? If you have a 300W lamp in the fixture and are only
getting 160W then something is wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I live in Georgia. It is still a dime, but I see now that is well
below average.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri...able5_6_a.html

Btw I could not find this information at my local utility company's
web site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 10:18*am, "Pete C." wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article
,
wrote:

[...]

thing. I'm thinking I should upgrade to 480V landscape lighting.- Hide quoted text -

There is light bulb efficency, 100 watt incandesant 120v are around
17-19 Lumen per watt, 4 w 120v can be near 10 LPW then there is the
rating for 12v which per watt could easily make 12v, 20%+ less
efficent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Your chart seems to show that a dime is really close to average,
everywhere but the New England and Mid-Atlantic states, and
California.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Ralph Mowery wrote:

You've got your decimal point in the wrong place. Transformer and wiring
losses will be more like 2%, not 20%.

As for not electrocuting some filthy dog crapping on my lawn, digging in
my landscaping and chewing my wiring, I'm not sure low voltage is a good
thing. I'm thinking I should upgrade to 480V landscape lighting.

While good quality transformers will be about 98% efficiant, the comsumer
grade stuff (especially the inported junk) will loose much more.
Quote from one source:

TRANSFORMER LOSSES

Practical power transformers, although highly efficient, are not perfect
devices. Small power transformers used in electrical equipment have an 80 to
90 percent efficiency range, while large, commercial powerline transformers
may have efficiencies exceeding 98 percent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

JK- Hide quoted text -

That chart is not the truth after all taxes, no matter what it says.
For Illinois and Indiana its both about .125 Kwh, It was even higher
this year in Chicago area nearing 0.14c Kwh. Check your bill to see if
it agrees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
ransley wrote:

On Jan 27, 10:18*am, "Pete C." wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article
,
wrote:

[...]

Well, we aren't talking about lumens. I don't think the OP is looking
out at his rhododendrons and thinking, ****, that damn light doesn't
look like it's putting out an honest quantity of lumens. He's talking
about watts, and the cost to operate those watts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
ransley wrote:

On Jan 27, 11:26*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*ransley Mark wrote:
On Jan 27, 10:18*am, "Pete C." wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article
,
wrote:

[...]

about watts, and the cost to operate those watts.- Hide quoted text -

The OP said he was under the impression 12v is cheaper to run, LPW is
what lighting is all about. Nobody has even thought that those 12v
lights are less efficient in the equation. .

Lumens per watt may be what *interior* lighting is all about, and even a
lot of *outdoor* lighting like football stadiums. As far as lighting up
a path or a flower, it's just mood lighting. I've never heard of anyone
taking LPW efficiency into consideration with landscape lighting, and I
doubt the OP cares about that, either. I think he may have just been
under the mistaken impression that a watt-hour of 12 volt stuff was
cheaper than a watt-hour of 120 volt stuff. Lumens may be an interesting
ancillary consideration from a theoretical perspective, but it's
irrelevant to the OP's considerations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Ralph Mowery wrote:

You've got your decimal point in the wrong place. Transformer and wiring
losses will be more like 2%, not 20%.

As for not electrocuting some filthy dog crapping on my lawn, digging in
my landscaping and chewing my wiring, I'm not sure low voltage is a good
thing. I'm thinking I should upgrade to 480V landscape lighting.

While good quality transformers will be about 98% efficiant, the comsumer
grade stuff (especially the inported junk) will loose much more.
Quote from one source:

TRANSFORMER LOSSES

Practical power transformers, although highly efficient, are not perfect
devices. Small power transformers used in electrical equipment have an 80 to
90 percent efficiency range, while large, commercial powerline transformers
may have efficiencies exceeding 98 percent.

So skip the junk import transformers and use a single quality US
transformer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:18:03 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

[snip]

As for not electrocuting some filthy dog crapping on my lawn, digging in
my landscaping and chewing my wiring, I'm not sure low voltage is a good
thing. I'm thinking I should upgrade to 480V landscape lighting.

And how does God like the smell of all those burning dog corpses?

:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

10-4 on that! And leave 'em a pan of antifreeze to refresh with.

"Pete C." wrote in message

As for not electrocuting some filthy dog crapping on my lawn, digging in
my landscaping and chewing my wiring, I'm not sure low voltage is a good
thing. I'm thinking I should upgrade to 480V landscape lighting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah well that chart has kansas at 8 cents. Must be about a decade old.
You'd better chek your bill Kansas is paying 13+ cents. Your utility
company has to post the rates.

"Terry" wrote in message

I live in Georgia. It is still a dime, but I see now that is well
below average.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri...able5_6_a.html

Btw I could not find this information at my local utility company's
web site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have to worry about what your yuppified lo voltage lighting is
costing to run, then you need to turn it off and not have it. you can't
afford it.

"ransley" wrote in message
The OP said he was under the impression 12v is cheaper to run, LPW is
what lighting is all about. Nobody has even thought that those 12v
lights are less efficient in the equation. .

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Harry wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:18:03 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

[snip]

As for not electrocuting some filthy dog crapping on my lawn, digging in
my landscaping and chewing my wiring, I'm not sure low voltage is a good
thing. I'm thinking I should upgrade to 480V landscape lighting.

And how does God like the smell of all those burning dog corpses?

:-)

If God exists, and cares, she can keep them off the lawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Mine is actually cheaper than the chart. I am in WI, and my rate is $.
0099880 per kWh, plus a meter charge of $.22 per day.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message

I live in Georgia. *It is still a dime, but I see now that is well
below average.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri...able5_6_a.html

Btw I could not find this information at my local utility company's
web site.- Hide quoted text -

That inacurate chart does say 07
Posted to alt.home.repair

So you're trying to tell us you're not even paying one cent per kwh?
You'd better look again.

"Big_Jake" wrote in message

Mine is actually cheaper than the chart. I am in WI, and my rate is $.
0099880 per kWh, plus a meter charge of $.22 per day.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big_Jake" wrote in message

Mine is actually cheaper than the chart. *I am in WI, and my rate is $..
0099880 per kWh, plus a meter charge of $.22 per day.

JK- Hide quoted text -

And he doesnt think the 6.60 a month should be considered in his price
of kwh cost
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

"Big_Jake" wrote in message

Mine is actually cheaper than the chart. I am in WI, and my rate is $.
0099880 per kWh, plus a meter charge of $.22 per day.
JK- Hide quoted text -

And he doesnt think the 6.60 a month should be considered in his price
of kwh cost

Well, $0.0099.../kWh would be 9.9 mills or roughly 10 cents, not less
than 1 by my counting decimal places...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Obviously, you don't understand decimal places. A DIME would be .10 so a
bit under a time would be .099blahblahblah.

your example of$0.0099 is ALMOST a penny

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Well, $0.0099.../kWh would be 9.9 mills or roughly 10 cents, not less than
1 by my counting decimal places...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big_Jake" wrote in message

Mine is actually cheaper than the chart. I am in WI, and my rate is $.
0099880 per kWh, plus a meter charge of $.22 per day.

JK- Hide quoted text -

And he doesnt think the 6.60 a month should be considered in his price
of kwh cost

I adds a 6/10th's of a cent to my cost per kWh

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Ralph Mowery :
While a watt is a watt with lights, the 12 volt system will cost about 20%
more to run if the same wattage of bulbs is used. This is because of the
transformer loss and a small aditional loss in the 12 volt wiring compaired
to the 120 volt wiring..

True, however, outdoor LV systems are generally not operated
with the same intent as indoor. You're not trying to achieve
the same lighting level, they're often just markers or just
intended to be enough light to avoid tripping over things.
As a result, most systems don't really use that much wattage.

A lot of installations are just short strings of 4W bulbs.

The 12 volt system is used mainly due to the safety factor.

And simplicity of installation.

As far as "economy" goes - halogens will give you slightly more lumens
per watt, but not likely to be useful in reducing power. It's better to
be more modest in lighting requirement and simply reduce wattage or the
number of bulbs. Or, if you have money to spare, go with LED bulbs.
_Vastly_ more efficient than even fluorescents. There's some really neat
new bulbs becoming available. Eg: 50W-equivalent LED bulbs in GU-10 or MR16
bases that draw only 2W of power, and undoubtably some that would fit
just fine into traditional pea-bulb LV lighting systems like Malibus.
Unfortunately, the prices are still heart-stopping...

[IIRC, 12V 50W-equivalent MR16 LED floods drawing about 2W of power
are over $50 _each_. Theoretically very long lived however - 50,000
hours and up. As long as nothing bad happened, it probably still would
be a good investment in terms of power savings. But the startup
costs are enormous.]
--
Chris Lewis,

Is 12volt track lighting cheaper to operate than 120 volt system?? vic Home Repair 5 February 21st 07 01:24 PM
Exterior Lighting (rant) John UK diy 17 January 19th 07 04:31 PM
12 Volt lighting. [email protected] UK diy 3 November 15th 06 01:05 AM
12 Volt lighting Kevin Green UK diy 3 April 19th 06 08:40 PM
12 volt lighting transformer tips Paul Furman Home Repair 8 December 8th 03 09:56 PM