Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Cost to Run 12 volt Exterior Lighting

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:13:03 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Jan 27, 10:05*am, Terry wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 07:30:36 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I use three, 300 watt 12 volt Maulibu type transformers to light my
yard and walkway lights around my home.

I was under the impression the reason one would use 12volt instead of
line voltage was the 12v was less costly to run.

How do I determine how much power each of these is drawing (per hr?)
so I calculate my cost per month. *I don't think it will matter, but
one of them is only drawing about 160 watts. *Each of the others is
near their 300 watt limit.

Thx

12V lights are cheaper to "install" than standard 120V lights because
of the cheaper materials involved.

300 x 3 = almost a kilowatt. *The average cost per kilowatt, last time
I checked, was close to a dime. *So you pay about a dime an hour to
run your 3 lights.

How did you come to the conclusion that one of your lights is only
drawing 160W? *If you have a 300W lamp in the fixture and are only
getting 160W then something is wrong.

he said his transformers were using near 760 w, a dime-10c for
electric, many pay .15-.18c per Kw, few pay 10c

I live in Georgia. It is still a dime, but I see now that is well
below average.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri...able5_6_a.html

Btw I could not find this information at my local utility company's
web site.