Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Cost to Run 12 volt Exterior Lighting

"Pete C." wrote in message
Ralph Mowery wrote:

You've got your decimal point in the wrong place. Transformer and wiring
losses will be more like 2%, not 20%.

As for not electrocuting some filthy dog crapping on my lawn, digging in
my landscaping and chewing my wiring, I'm not sure low voltage is a good
thing. I'm thinking I should upgrade to 480V landscape lighting.

While good quality transformers will be about 98% efficiant, the comsumer
grade stuff (especially the inported junk) will loose much more.
Quote from one source:

TRANSFORMER LOSSES

Practical power transformers, although highly efficient, are not perfect
devices. Small power transformers used in electrical equipment have an 80 to
90 percent efficiency range, while large, commercial powerline transformers
may have efficiencies exceeding 98 percent.