Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Cost to Run 12 volt Exterior Lighting

On Jan 27, 9:30*am, wrote:
I use three, 300 watt 12 volt Maulibu type transformers to light my
yard and walkway lights around my home.

I was under the impression the reason one would use 12volt instead of
line voltage was the 12v was less costly to run.

How do I determine how much power each of these is drawing (per hr?)
so I calculate my cost per month. *I don't think it will matter, but
one of them is only drawing about 160 watts. *Each of the others is
near their 300 watt limit.

Thx

They dont use less than comparable wattage 120v lights, probably more
since the transformer wastes energy through heat loss and the 12v
lights may not be as efficient as 120v bulbs. 760 w would cost me
maybe 36$ a month run 12 hrs a day, you have the number 760 watt
figure hours used x your eletic rate, a Kill-a-Watt meter is good.