Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recessed light can/trim recommendations

I am remodeling a house and plan to change out all the lights. The existing
recessed lights are over 30 years old and badly corroded and over half of
them are no longer working. I have the ceiling ripped down now and plan to
remove old ones and install new ones.

I would prefer to use the same lights for living room, dinning room, family
room, hallways and den. After doing some calculations I would need about
100 lights on the inside. These are for general lighting so would use
probably 60W bulbs. I would have other lights for task lighting, wall
scones etc...The outside eave would need an additional 40 additional cans
which brings the total to 140 lights.

Can anyone recommend a good source for recessed lights. Any special
brand/model? Will I get any volume discount if I get so many lights?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am remodeling a house and plan to change out all the lights. The

existing
recessed lights are over 30 years old and badly corroded and over half of
them are no longer working. I have the ceiling ripped down now and plan

remove old ones and install new ones.

I would prefer to use the same lights for living room, dinning room,

family
room, hallways and den. After doing some calculations I would need about
100 lights on the inside. These are for general lighting so would use
probably 60W bulbs. I would have other lights for task lighting, wall
scones etc...The outside eave would need an additional 40 additional cans
which brings the total to 140 lights.

Can anyone recommend a good source for recessed lights. Any special
brand/model? Will I get any volume discount if I get so many lights?

I tend to stick with the Halo brand. They are readily available almost
anywhere. The H7 housings are rated for damp locations such as your eaves.
I think that the H99's are also rated for damp locations. They have a good
selection of trims also which can be used with a variety of bulbs. If you
want to save electricity and heat you might want to consider a fluorescent
housing, but the initial cost will be higher. For that quantity of lights I
would suggest that you get a bid from one or two electrical supply
companies. You should be able to get a good price that way as they like to
sell volume.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can anyone recommend a good source for recessed lights. *Any special
brand/model? *Will I get any volume discount if I get so many lights?

Sticking with what JG said - I chose Halo due to the availability at
Lowes and HD, and the wide selection of baffles and trims. They also
sell a 6-pack and 12-pack at HD and Lowes that saves about a buck a
light (and they're only around $6.50 for the can to begin with). I
think there's also a 10-pack that comes with baffles that saves a few
bucks on the can/baffle combo, but you obviously lose the selection of
trims. Who knows though, perhaps an electric supply house could even
beat those prices, considering your volume.

As for the type of housing, also consider that you can buy an
incandescent housing and put in a compact fluorescent bulb. This is
what I did and it cost me half of what just the fluorescent housing
with integrated ballast would have cost me. Just something to
consider.