Posted to alt.home.repair
KJ

Default 90°C Wire for Recessed Light?

Hello,

I am installing a recessed light in the kitchen.

The box says the wire must be rated to 90° C (as opposed to 60° C).

The kitchen lights are wired with standard NMB 12/3.

Is this acceptable? I don't see the temp rating on the wire.

Also, would 14/3 NMB be acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

-KJ

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"KJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I am installing a recessed light in the kitchen.

The box says the wire must be rated to 90° C (as opposed to 60° C).

The kitchen lights are wired with standard NMB 12/3.

Is this acceptable? I don't see the temp rating on the wire.

Also, would 14/3 NMB be acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

-KJ

Most NM today is 90c. Unless your home is 12 years old or there abouts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

"KJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I am installing a recessed light in the kitchen.

The box says the wire must be rated to 90° C (as opposed to 60° C).

The kitchen lights are wired with standard NMB 12/3.

Is this acceptable? I don't see the temp rating on the wire.

Also, would 14/3 NMB be acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

-KJ

Should be a wire type printed on there. I checked the type number when I was
wiring mine and the spec was 85 degrees C on NMB. One light I have says it
should be rated 100 degrees C but none of the stores around here sell NMB
rated at 100 degrees C. I did buy some special 200 degrees C wire from a
mail order house in New York State when I wired by baseboard heaters.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
KJ

House was built in 1991. I checked the wire, it does say NM-B. Although
I was wrong, it is 14 gauge, not 12.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KJ

Recessed lights?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

On 30 Mar 2006 14:21:47 -0800, "KJ" wrote:

Hello,

I am installing a recessed light in the kitchen.

The box says the wire must be rated to 90° C (as opposed to 60° C).

The kitchen lights are wired with standard NMB 12/3.

Is this acceptable? I don't see the temp rating on the wire.

Also, would 14/3 NMB be acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

-KJ

Purely for informational purposes.

I asked why do most fixtures require 90C wires? I found out many
manufactures use very thin fixture wire(18awg) which will heat up
beyond 60C wire specs with their amperage. This means anything coming
in contact with the fixture wire, under the wire nut, needs to be
protected to 90C.

In this case, NM-B contains 90C conductors (some even list themselves
as 105C conductors). So I wouldn't have to do anything different to
wire in your type of fictures.

IMHO: If you feel in anyway you cannot perform the work safely, then
you need to get a qualified person.

hth,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 11:07:35 -0600, Bud--
wrote:

Tom wrote:
On 30 Mar 2006 14:21:47 -0800, "KJ" wrote:

Hello,

I am installing a recessed light in the kitchen.

The box says the wire must be rated to 90° C (as opposed to 60° C).

The kitchen lights are wired with standard NMB 12/3.

Is this acceptable? I don't see the temp rating on the wire.

Also, would 14/3 NMB be acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

-KJ

Purely for informational purposes.

I asked why do most fixtures require 90C wires? I found out many
manufactures use very thin fixture wire(18awg) which will heat up
beyond 60C wire specs with their amperage. This means anything coming
in contact with the fixture wire, under the wire nut, needs to be
protected to 90C.

Not likely. #18 fixture wire is rated 6 amps which is 720W at 120V.
Larger wattage fixtures use larger wire. Incandescent light fixtures get
hot because the bulb gets hot. If the wires can be isolated from that
heat lower temp supply wires can be used. Flourescent tubes also produce
heat, but far worse is the ballast. Among the worst were the old
circline fixtures.

bud--

18awg came to my mind, because I just converted over my single switch
ceiling fan and lights, to seperate switches. The wiring for the fan
and lights were 18awg stranded. That is sticking in my head.

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein

In article , Tom wrote:

I asked why do most fixtures require 90C wires? I found out many
manufactures use very thin fixture wire(18awg) which will heat up
beyond 60C wire specs with their amperage. This means anything coming
in contact with the fixture wire, under the wire nut, needs to be
protected to 90C.

18 AWG does not heat much at the .6 to 1.25 amps drawn by the fixture.
The main problem is that heat builds up in the fixture.

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 08:50:40 -0500, Tom wrote:

On 30 Mar 2006 14:21:47 -0800, "KJ" wrote:

Hello,

I am installing a recessed light in the kitchen.

The box says the wire must be rated to 90° C (as opposed to 60° C).

The kitchen lights are wired with standard NMB 12/3.

Is this acceptable? I don't see the temp rating on the wire.

Also, would 14/3 NMB be acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

-KJ

Purely for informational purposes.

I asked why do most fixtures require 90C wires? I found out many
manufactures use very thin fixture wire(18awg) which will heat up
beyond 60C wire specs with their amperage. This means anything coming
in contact with the fixture wire, under the wire nut, needs to be
protected to 90C.

Rather than ask around why, I went looking online, and found out the
thermal protective device on recessed lights is set to 194F (90C).

The PDF file I read: http://www.urlbee.com?2438

tom