Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

Default 90°C Wire for Recessed Light?

Tom wrote:
On 30 Mar 2006 14:21:47 -0800, "KJ" wrote:

Hello,

I am installing a recessed light in the kitchen.

The box says the wire must be rated to 90° C (as opposed to 60° C).

The kitchen lights are wired with standard NMB 12/3.

Is this acceptable? I don't see the temp rating on the wire.

Also, would 14/3 NMB be acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

-KJ

Purely for informational purposes.

I asked why do most fixtures require 90C wires? I found out many
manufactures use very thin fixture wire(18awg) which will heat up
beyond 60C wire specs with their amperage. This means anything coming
in contact with the fixture wire, under the wire nut, needs to be
protected to 90C.

Not likely. #18 fixture wire is rated 6 amps which is 720W at 120V.
Larger wattage fixtures use larger wire. Incandescent light fixtures get
hot because the bulb gets hot. If the wires can be isolated from that
heat lower temp supply wires can be used. Flourescent tubes also produce
heat, but far worse is the ballast. Among the worst were the old
circline fixtures.

bud--