Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recessed light problem

I have a incandescent light in a recessed fixture in the basement that
doesn't come on instantly. When you flip the switch, nothing happens,
but if you leave the switch on the light comes on a few minutes later.
I have changed the light switch and it still takes some time to work.
What might the reason be for not coming on in an instant? That's me
with the fluorescent light problem in a previous post as well. I am
sure they are not related, but who knows. Thanks for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If it's a low voltage fixture, there may be a slight delay but not minutes.
There is a thermal cutout wired into the junction box of the fixture, which
may be faulty. Other than that, only a loose connection would cause a delay.
If it's a loose connection, I would expect it to flicker on and off
periodically

"goodfella" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a incandescent light in a recessed fixture in the basement that
doesn't come on instantly. When you flip the switch, nothing happens,
but if you leave the switch on the light comes on a few minutes later.
I have changed the light switch and it still takes some time to work.
What might the reason be for not coming on in an instant? That's me
with the fluorescent light problem in a previous post as well. I am
sure they are not related, but who knows. Thanks for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This probably isn't it but before you do anything else try changing
the bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

goodfella wrote:
I have a incandescent light in a recessed fixture in the basement that
doesn't come on instantly. When you flip the switch, nothing happens,
but if you leave the switch on the light comes on a few minutes later.
I have changed the light switch and it still takes some time to work.
What might the reason be for not coming on in an instant? That's me
with the fluorescent light problem in a previous post as well. I am
sure they are not related, but who knows. Thanks for your help.

I've had Capsule light do some very
strange things, so it could be the
bulb, especially if it's one of them. I
have a 50 watt unit right now in
my kitchen that, if it's left on for a
long period of time, you hear a click
and it goes out. After an apparent cool
down, it got back on.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 5, 6:33 am, goodfella wrote:
I have a incandescent light in a recessed fixture in the basement that
doesn't come on instantly. When you flip the switch, nothing happens,
but if you leave the switch on the light comes on a few minutes later.
I have changed the light switch and it still takes some time to work.
What might the reason be for not coming on in an instant? That's me
with the fluorescent light problem in a previous post as well. I am
sure they are not related, but who knows. Thanks for your help.

As somebody else suggested, first just change the bulb making sure
it's an "ordinary" bulb. If it then works normally, you've found the
problem.

If the problem still occurs, you know there's a problem in the base
most likely. I'd start w/ taking the bulb out and checking voltage in
the socket (carefully!) w/ a VOM while somebody operates the switch
and see what that looks like. Are there other lights on the same
circuit/switch?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 5, 6:33 am, goodfella wrote:
I have a incandescent light in a recessed fixture in the basement that
doesn't come on instantly. When you flip the switch, nothing happens,
but if you leave the switch on the light comes on a few minutes later.
I have changed the light switch and it still takes some time to work.
What might the reason be for not coming on in an instant? That's me
with the fluorescent light problem in a previous post as well. I am
sure they are not related, but who knows. Thanks for your help.

A common problem is in the center terminal of the lamp socket. The
plastic gets tired and allows the center terminal to sag, so the fix
is easy: turn off the circuit, take out the lamp and with needle nose
pliers or other handy tool, pull up the center contact a small amount
(be careful), reinstall lamp and all should be well. HTH

Joe