Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recessed light can/trim recommendations

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am remodeling a house and plan to change out all the lights. The

existing
recessed lights are over 30 years old and badly corroded and over half of
them are no longer working. I have the ceiling ripped down now and plan

remove old ones and install new ones.

I would prefer to use the same lights for living room, dinning room,

family
room, hallways and den. After doing some calculations I would need about
100 lights on the inside. These are for general lighting so would use
probably 60W bulbs. I would have other lights for task lighting, wall
scones etc...The outside eave would need an additional 40 additional cans
which brings the total to 140 lights.

Can anyone recommend a good source for recessed lights. Any special
brand/model? Will I get any volume discount if I get so many lights?

I tend to stick with the Halo brand. They are readily available almost
anywhere. The H7 housings are rated for damp locations such as your eaves.
I think that the H99's are also rated for damp locations. They have a good
selection of trims also which can be used with a variety of bulbs. If you
want to save electricity and heat you might want to consider a fluorescent
housing, but the initial cost will be higher. For that quantity of lights I
would suggest that you get a bid from one or two electrical supply
companies. You should be able to get a good price that way as they like to
sell volume.