Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint loose on walls

The paint on some of my walls is "loose", you can peel it off in small
sheets. When you wipe your hand over the wall where the paint came off it
leaves a white powder on the hand. Do I need to seal the wall ? What should
I wash it with first and use to seal it? Any advice is very appreciated.

TIA
jimmy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 1:31�pm, "Jimmy" wrote:
The paint on some of my walls is "loose", you can peel it off in small
sheets. When you wipe your hand over the wall where the paint came off it
leaves a white powder on the hand. Do I need to seal the wall ? What should
I wash it with first and use to seal it? Any advice is very appreciated.

� � TIA
� � � � jimmy

first scrape all the loose stuff and address why its coming loose....
might be moisture troubles in the wall
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like an exterior wall, probably plaster. Latex paint
cannot breathe so hydrostatic pressure pushes it off the wall and
deteriorates the plaster to boot. Do NOT use latex on exterior
plaster walls bonded directly to masonry.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
On Jan 21, 1:31?pm, "Jimmy" wrote:
The paint on some of my walls is "loose", you can peel it off in
small
sheets. When you wipe your hand over the wall where the paint
came off it
leaves a white powder on the hand. Do I need to seal the wall ?
What should
I wash it with first and use to seal it? Any advice is very
appreciated.

? ? TIA
? ? ? ? jimmy

first scrape all the loose stuff and address why its coming
loose....
might be moisture troubles in the wall

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

On Jan 21, 1:31?pm, "Jimmy" wrote:

The paint on some of my walls is "loose", you can peel it off in
small
sheets. When you wipe your hand over the wall where the paint
came off it
leaves a white powder on the hand. Do I need to seal the wall ?
What should
I wash it with first and use to seal it? Any advice is very
appreciated.

? ? TIA
? ? ? ? jimmy

first scrape all the loose stuff and address why its coming
loose....
might be moisture troubles in the wall

Most latexes do breath oils dont.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimmy wrote:

The paint on some of my walls is "loose", you can peel it off in small
sheets. When you wipe your hand over the wall where the paint came off it
leaves a white powder on the hand. Do I need to seal the wall ? What should
I wash it with first and use to seal it? Any advice is very appreciated.

TIA
jimmy

Interior? Exterior? How old is the coat of paint? What kind of paint?
It is normal outdoors for any
kind of paint to take on chalking from weather. If that is what your
are addressing, it needs to be pressure
washed when ready to repaint. Peeling outdoors typically comes from
some moisture getting into the
wood (especially at joints/ends of wood siding), or applying paint
before the surface dries completely. Lots of reasons for paint
problems, and
the more specific you can be, the better to get good advice. FWIF, all
of the instructions on a can
of good paint - prep, temperature, sun, cleaning, humidity, etc. - are
there for very good reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jan 21, 3:31*pm, "Jimmy" wrote:
The paint on some of my walls is "loose", you can peel it off in small
sheets. When you wipe your hand over the wall where the paint came off it
leaves a white powder on the hand. Do I need to seal the wall ? What should
I wash it with first and use to seal it? Any advice is very appreciated.

* * TIA
* * * * jimmy

Seems they painted without a primer coat? Seal it with an oil primer.