Alan Gabriel

Default Removing paint from walls?

The walls are solid, plastered walls which the builders slapped a coat of
white emulsion on.

The previous owners papered the walls, which I have just removed. Great
patches of the paint came off with the wallpaper leaving bare plaster.

I want to repaint the walls but need to remove all the loose paint. What is
the easiest way to remove emulsion paint?

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

fool's gold

"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message ...
The walls are solid, plastered walls which the builders slapped a coat of
white emulsion on.

The previous owners papered the walls, which I have just removed. Great
patches of the paint came off with the wallpaper leaving bare plaster.

I want to repaint the walls but need to remove all the loose paint. What is
the easiest way to remove emulsion paint?

I had exactly the same experience. I used a combination of large
sander, and steam and scraping. On a wall that I was to paint deep red
I got away with not removing all of the paint.
NB. Make sure you prime / seal the plaster after you remove the
emulsion. (does anyone know the difference between priming and
sealing?).

Fool's Gold.
Alan Gabriel

"fool's gold" wrote in message
om...
"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message

The walls are solid, plastered walls which the builders slapped a coat

of
white emulsion on.

The previous owners papered the walls, which I have just removed. Great
patches of the paint came off with the wallpaper leaving bare plaster.

I want to repaint the walls but need to remove all the loose paint. What

is
the easiest way to remove emulsion paint?

I had exactly the same experience. I used a combination of large
sander, and steam and scraping. On a wall that I was to paint deep red
I got away with not removing all of the paint.
NB. Make sure you prime / seal the plaster after you remove the
emulsion. (does anyone know the difference between priming and
sealing?).

I presume priming means thinned emulsion and sealing is dilute PVA.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Capitol

I've always got away with applying a number of new coats of paint around the
edges of the original paint to feather edge the bulges, 6-10 coats? Then
applying the new paint. Much less work.

Regards
capitol

Peter Scott

"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message
The walls are solid, plastered walls which the builders slapped a coat of
white emulsion on.

The previous owners papered the walls, which I have just removed. Great
patches of the paint came off with the wallpaper leaving bare plaster.

I want to repaint the walls but need to remove all the loose paint. What

is
the easiest way to remove emulsion paint?

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

By accident I discovered that methylated spirit softens and
loosens emulsion. Brush it on, leave for fifteen minutes,
then scrape.

Peter Scott

removing paint from plaster ellie UK diy 6 October 14th 03 10:49 AM
Removing tile paint Thee_Psycho UK diy 1 October 8th 03 02:51 PM
Removing Tile Paint Alan McGowan UK diy 1 August 8th 03 03:42 PM
Removing paint from old plaster coving - how easy is it? Tess UK diy 1 August 1st 03 05:42 PM